On Polarization Phenomena in Proton-Deuteron Elastic Scattering at Medium and High Energies
A series of recent experiments at Argonne National Laboratory has shown that sizable polarizations (≈ 30%) exist in the NN system in the medium- and high-energy region. One may infer that in this energy domain spin effects should also be important in the three nucleon system. A contour diagram of the analyzing power of deuterium for polarized protons in the energy range 10 MeV to 1.5 GeV (Fig. 1) exhibits a great deal of structure for incident proton energies above 300 MeV. The region of large positive analyzing powers at backward angles around 550 MeV may be the key in understanding the observed shoulder in the 180° excitation function and the variation in slope of the backward angular distributions in Nd elastic scattering.
KeywordsElastic Scattering Differential Cross Section Excitation Function Interference Minimum Glauber Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Yokosawa in Nucleon-Nucleon Interactions — 1977, ed. by H. Fearing, D. Measday and A. Strathdee (American Institute of Physics, New York, 1978) p. 59.Google Scholar
- A. N. Anderson et al, Contribution to this Conference.Google Scholar
- M. W. McNaughton, private communication.Google Scholar
- V. M. Kolybasov and N. Ya. Yad. Fiz. 17, 1211 (1973).Google Scholar
- Ch. Murtasayev et al, JINR, report P1 — 11285 (1978).Google Scholar