Structural properties of petri nets
Several necessary conditions for structural liveness and a necessary and sufficient condition for structural boundedness are given. These conditions can be verified by using techniques of linear algebra and could be used for proving liveness and boundedness depending on a given marking. Structural boundedness and liveness are related to the existence of deadlocks traps absorbers and generators of a special type in a PN. A necessary condition for a PN to be structurally bounded and live is that it be both invariant and consistent. Thus invariance and consistency, which imply also the strong connexity of the graphic representation, are necessary conditions for evitating pathological situations such as structural unboundedness and structural unliveness.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A.W. HOLT, F. COMMONER, "Events and Conditions", Information system theory project, Applied Data Research Inc.Google Scholar
- F. COMMONER, A.W. HOLT, S. EVEN, A. PNUELI, "Marked directed graphs", J. Comp. System Sci., 5 (1971) pp. 511–523.Google Scholar
- M. HACK, "Analysis of production schemata by Petri nets", MIT, Project MAC, TR 94 (1972).Google Scholar
- E. BEST, H.A. SCHMID, "Systems of open paths in Petri nets", Lecture Notes in Comp. Sci., no 32, Sept. 1975, pp. 186–193.Google Scholar
- K. LAUTENBACH, "Liveness in Petri nets", G.M.D. Internal report ISF-75-02.1, July 1975, Bonn.Google Scholar
- K. LAUTENBACH, H.A. SCHMID, "Use of Petri nets for proving correctness of concurrent process systems", IFIP 1974, North Holland Publ. Co., 1974, pp 187–191.Google Scholar
- S. CRESPI REGHIZZI, D. MANDRIOLLI, "Some algebraic properties of Petri nets", Alta Frequenza, no 2, Vol XLV, pp 130–137.Google Scholar
- C. RAMCHANDANI, "Analysis of asynchronous concurrent systems by timed Petri nets", PhD Thesis, MIT, Sept. 1973.Google Scholar
- T. MURATA, R.W. CHURCH, "Analysis of marked graphs and Petri nets by matrix equations", R.R. No M.D.C. 1.1.8, Univ. of Illinois, Nov. 1975.Google Scholar
- G. MEMMI, "Semiflows and invariants. Applications in Petri nets theory", Journées sur les réseaux de Petri, March 1977, Paris, pp 145–150.Google Scholar
- J. SIFAKIS, "Use of Petri nets for performance evaluation" in "Measuring, Modeling and Evaluation Computer Systems", pp 75–93, North Holland, Publ. Co., 1977.Google Scholar
- G.B. DANTZIG, "Linear programming and extensions", Princeton Univ. Press, 1963.Google Scholar
- M. HACK, "Decision Problems for Petri nets and vector addition systems" MAC Techn. Mem. 59, M.I.T., March 1975.Google Scholar