Grammars with dynamic control sets
The use of control strings to direct derivations in context-free grammars is generalized in this paper. Recording grammars (rgs) are introduced. Rgs don't have a pregiven set of control strings, but generate these during the course of derivations. The generative capacity for several models of rgs is studied. The control mechanism inherent to rgs establishes relationships between substrings in words. The nature of these relationships is investigated too. Applicability of rgs within both compiler theory and programming language description methods is demonstrated. New characterizations of a-transducer mappings and Turing-transductions are displayed. It is shown further how rgs can be used to formalize non-contextfree features in programming languages.
KeywordsRegular Language Control Word Characteristic Language Control String Control Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A.V.Aho, J.D.Ullman: The Theory of Parsing, Translation and Compiling. Vol.1, Prentice-Hall 1972Google Scholar
- G.Barth: Protokollgrammatiken-Ein Konzept zur zeitvarianten Kontrolle bei kontextfreien Ersetzungen. Doctorial Thesis, Universität Kaiserslautern 1977Google Scholar
- G. Barth: Efficient Non-Contextfree Parsing. Proc. of 7th Annual GI-Conference, Informatik-Fachberichte No.10, Springer Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, pp.1–15Google Scholar
- K. Culik, C.W. Morey: Formal Schemes for Language Translations. Int.J.Comp.Math. Section A, 3(1971), pp.17–48Google Scholar
- S.Ginsburg: Algebraic and Automata-Theoretic Properties of Formal languages. North-Holland Publishing Company 1975Google Scholar
- J.E.Hopcroft, J.D.Ullman: Formal Languages and their Relation to Automata. Addison-Wesley 1969Google Scholar
- T. Kasai: A Hierarchy between Contextfree and Contextsensitive Languages. JCSS 4(1970), pp.492–508Google Scholar
- H.Maurer: Theoretische Grundlagen der Programmiersprachen. BI-Hochschultaschenbuch 404/404a, 1969Google Scholar
- A.Salomaa: Formal Languages. Academic Press 1973Google Scholar
- G.Barth: Mastering Contextsensitivity in Programming Languages. To be presented at the MFCS'78 Conference in Zakopane, Poland, September 1978Google Scholar