Time and space bounds for selection problems
The complexity of a number of selection problems is considered. An algorithm is given to determine the mode of a multiset in a number of comparisons differing from the lower bound by only a "lower order term." The problems of finding the kth largest element in a set in minimal and near minimal space are also discussed. A time space tradeoff is demonstrated for these problems.
KeywordsSelection Problem Binary Search Large Element Lower Order Term Linear Time Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Allen, "On Binary Search Trees," Research Report CS-77-27, Department of Computer Science, University of Waterloo.Google Scholar
- 2.Bayer, P. J., "Improved Bounds of the Costs of Optimal and Balanced Binary Search Trees," Project MAC Technical Memorandum 69, M.I.T., November 1975.Google Scholar
- 3.Blum, M. Floyd, R., Pratt, V., Rivest, R., and Tarjan, R., "Time Bounds for Selection," JCSS 7(1973), pp. 448–461.Google Scholar
- 4.Dobkin, D., and Munro, I., "A Minimal Space Selection Algorithm that Runs in Linear Time,’ Proc. Johns Hopkins CISS Conference April 1977. Also appears as Yale Department of Computer Science Technical Report #106.Google Scholar
- 5.Hwang, F. K. and Lin, S., "A Simple Algorithm for Merging Two Disjoint Linearly Ordered Sets," SICOMP 1,1(March 1972), pp. 31–39.Google Scholar
- 6.Munro, I. and Spira, P., "Sorting and Searching in Multisets," SICOMP 5,1 (March 1976), pp. 1–9.Google Scholar
- 7.Pohl, I., "A Minimum Storage Algorithm for Computing the Median", IBM Technical Report RC2701, November 1969.Google Scholar
- 8.Pratt, V., and Yao, F., "On Lower Bounds for Computing the ith Largest Element," Proc. 14th IEEE Symposium on SWAT, October 1973, pp. 70–81.Google Scholar
- 9.Rivest, R. and Floyd, R., "Bounds on the Expected Time for Median Computations," in Combinatorial Algorithms ed. R. Rustin, Courant C. S. Symposium 9, Algorithmics Press 1973, see also Rivest and Floyd "Algorithm 488 (Select) CACM 18(1975), p. 173.Google Scholar
- 10.Schonage, A. Paterson, M. and Pippenger, N., "Finding the Median," JCSS 13 (1976), pp. 184–199.Google Scholar