Development of turbulence through non-steady boundary layer
Turbulent patches which develop through boundary layers under the effect of periodical change of flow have been studied experimentally. Except that they have two-dimensional structure, the patches are quite similar in nature to the turbulent spots in steady boundary layers. Turbulent fluid of free turbulence structure appears suddenly in a wave packet and soon after its born the fore part stretches and enchroaches on the surface of the plate, then the wall turbulence starts to be formed in this portion.
KeywordsBoundary Layer Wind Tunnel Wall Turbulence Turbulent Spot Patch Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Miller, J.A.; Fejer, A.A.: Transition phenomena in oscillating boundary-layer flows. J. Fluid Mech. 18 (1964) 438–485.Google Scholar
- 2.Obremski, H.J.; Fejer, A.A.: Transition in oscillating boundary layer flows. J. Fluid Mech. 29 (1967) 93–111.Google Scholar
- 3.Obremski, H.J.; Morkovin, M.V.: Application of a quasi-steady stability model to periodic boundary-layer flows. AIAA Journal 7 (1969) 1298–1301.Google Scholar
- 4.Loehrke, R.I.; Morkovin, M.V.; Fejer, A.A.: New insights on transition in oscillating boundary layers. AFOSR 70-1586TR (presented at the Fluid Dynamics Symposium held at McMaster University, Canada) 1970.Google Scholar
- 5.Kobashi, Y.; Hayakawa, M.; Nakagawa, K.: Development of disturbances in unsteady boundary layers. Unsteady Aerodynamics (Proceedings of a Symposium held at the University of Arizona, U.S.A.) 1975 131–153.Google Scholar
- 6.Nakagawa, K.; Hayakawa, M.; Kobashi, Y.: Boundary layer transition in unsteady flow. Trans. JSME 43 (1977) 1005–1014.Google Scholar
- 7.Lighthill, M.J.: The response of laminar skin friction and heat transfer to fluctuations in the stream velocity. Proc. Roy. Soc. 164, A (1954) 1–23.Google Scholar
- 9.Kovasznay, L.S.G.; Kibens, V.; Blackwelder, R.F.: Large-scale motion in intermittent region of a boundary layer. J. Fluid Mech. 41 (1970) 238–325.Google Scholar
- 10.Favre, A.J.; Gaviglio, J.J.; Dumas, R.J.: Space-time correlations and spectra in a turbulent boundary layer. J. Fluid Mech. 2 (1957) 313–342.Google Scholar