Algol 68 as a language for numerical software
Portability: Programs should be as machine independent as possible.
Efficiency: Compiled programs should run as fast as possible, given an "average" compiler.
Fluency: The language should allow the expression of numerical algorithms, including their non-numerical components, as naturally and legibly as possible.
Availability: The language should be available on as many different machines as possible.
These requirements are to some extent mutually conflicting; we discuss here the balance which should be struck between them, and the extent to which they are fulfilled by Algol 68.
KeywordsNumerical Software FORTRAN Compiler Full Language ANSI Standard FORTRAN Routine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heising, W. P., Report of A.S.A. Committee X3, C.A.C.M. 7, P. 10; ibid, pp. 591–625; C.A.C.M. 8, pp. 287–8, 1965.Google Scholar
- 2.Revised Standard Fortran: Report of A.S.A. Committee X3, to appear eventually.Google Scholar
- 3.Marlow, S., and Powell, M. J. D., A FORTRAN Subroutine for Plotting the Part of a Conic That is Inside a Given Triangle, UKAEA Report AERE-R8336: HMSO, 1976.Google Scholar
- 4.van Wijngaarden, A., Mailloux, B. J., Peck, J. E. L, Koster, C. H. A., Sintzoff, M., Lindsey, C. H., Meesters, L. G. L. T., and Fisher, R. G., Revised Report on the Algorithmic language Algol 68, Supplement to Algol Bulletin 36, University of Alberta, 1974.Google Scholar
- 5.Ford, B., Machine Characteristics and Their Parameterization in Numerical Software, These Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 6.Hibbard, P. G., Informal Description of an Algol 68 Sublanguage, Presented at the WG 2.1 Subcommittee on Algol 68 support, Cambridge 1974; to be published.Google Scholar
- 7.See, e.g., P. M. Woodward and S. G. Bond, Algol 68-R Users guide, H.M.S.O. London.Google Scholar
- 8.Wichman, B. A., Basic Statement Times for Algol 60, unpublished report 1972; see also B. A. Wichman, Five Algol Compilers, Computer Journal, 1972, pp. 8–12.Google Scholar
- 9.Singleton, R. C., Algorithm 338, Algol Procedures for the Fast Fourier Transform, C.A.C.M. 11, 1968, pp. 773–776.Google Scholar
- 10.Prudom, A. and Hennell, M. A., to be published.Google Scholar
- 11.Prudom, A., Ph.D. thesis, University of Liverpool, 1976.Google Scholar