Exponential optimization for the LLP(k) parsing method
LLP(k) parsing was introduced by Lomet . This paper presents an LLP(k) version of the LR(k) characteristic parsing method developed by Geller and Harrison . The new construction allows an essential extension of the class of grammars admitting the optimization of parser size. While the till known application works for the class of strict deterministic grammars (see Harrison and Havel [6, 7]) the method presented here covers the whole class of LLP(k) grammars. The improvement in parser size can be even exponential.
KeywordsParsing Algorithm Admissible Partition Parsing Action Deterministic Language Characteristic Parsing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aho, A.V. and Ullman, J.D., The Theory of Parsing, Translation, and Compiling, Vols. I,II, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1972–3.Google Scholar
- 2.deRemer, F.L., Simple LR(k) Grammars, CACM, 14 (1971), 453–460Google Scholar
- 3.Geller, M.M., Graham, S.L., and Harrison, M.A., Production Prefix Parsing (extended abstract), in Automata, Languages, and Programming, 2nd Colloquium, University of Saarbrücken (J. Loeckx, ed.), 1974, 232–241.Google Scholar
- 4.Geller, M.M., Harrison, M.A., Strict Deterministic Versus LR(O) Parsing, Conference Record of ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, 1973, 22–32.Google Scholar
- 5.Geller, M.M., Harrison, M.A., Characteristic Parsing: A Framework for Producing Compact Deterministic Parsers, Parts I,II, unpublishedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Harrison, M.A. and Havel, I.M., Strict Deterministic Grammars, Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 7 (1973), 237–277.Google Scholar
- 8.Král, J., Demner, J., Parsing As a Subtask of Compiling, MFCS '75, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 32, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1975, 61–73.Google Scholar
- 9.Lomet, D.B., The Construction of Efficient Deterministic Language Processors, Ph.d. diss., University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 1969, and IBM Research Report RC 2738, 1970.Google Scholar
- 10.Lomet, D.B., Formal Construction of Multiple Exit Parsing Routines, Report IBM.Google Scholar
- 11.Lomet, D.B., Automatic Generation of Multiple Exit Parsing Subroutines, in Automata, Languages, and Programming, 2nd Colloquium, University of Saarbrücken (J. Loeckx, ed.), 1974, 214–231.Google Scholar
- 12.Pittl, J., Characteristic Parsing of LLP(k) Grammars, (in Czech), SVOČ Thesis, Prague, 1977.Google Scholar