Two-dimensional electron-hole metallic liquids
The ground state energy of two-dimensional electron-hole liquids is calculated in the generalized random phase approximation. It is shown that the cohesive energy per electron-hole pair exceeds the binding energy of a two-dimensional exciton in the case of a system with two conduction band minima and a single valence band maximum with a heavier effective mass. A possibility of producing electron-hole “pancakes” in layer-type semiconductors is pointed out. The many-body correction of the effective masses and dispersion relations of collective modes are also derived. Finally the condition for occurrence of excitonic phases is discussed.
KeywordsEffective Mass Ground State Energy Cohesive Energy Collective Mode Free Exciton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).M. Combescot and P. Nozières: J. Phys. C5 (1972) 2369Google Scholar
- 1) a.W. F. Brinkman and T. M. Rice: Phys. Rev. B7 (1973) 1508.Google Scholar
- 2).Y. Kuramoto and H. Kamimura: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 37 (1974) 716.Google Scholar
- 3).H. Kamimura, K. Nakao and Y. Nishina: Phys. Rev. Letters 22 (1969) 1379.Google Scholar
- 4).T. M. Rice: Ann. Phys. 31 (1965) 100.Google Scholar
- 5).F. Stern: Phys. Rev. Letters 18 (1967) 546.Google Scholar
- 6).Ya. Pokrovskii: Phys. Stat. solidi (a) 11 (1972) 385.Google Scholar
- 7).H. Kamimura and Y. Kuramoto: Prog. theor. Phys. Suppl. No.57 (1975) 138.Google Scholar