Comment on “self-induced transparency in the exciton system”
Starting with the Hamiltonian for periodically arranged spin operators with a spin 1/2 we derive the equations of motion of the spin components under influence of an external field. In order to find the possibility of the self-induced transparency in this system a real solution of a pulse-like propagating field is sought. Following the previous work by Haken and Schenzle we obtain a solution which contains the influence of the dispersion and polariton effects of the system. In the absence of these effects the solution corresponds to a well-known hyperbolic-secant solution derived by McCall and Hahn. Discussion is made on the condition for SIT to be present.
KeywordsLight Field Spin Operator Macroscopic Polarization Exciton System Field Intensity Increase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).S. L. McCall and E. L. Hahn: Phys. Rev. 183 (1969) 457.Google Scholar
- 2).See, e.g., A. C. Scott et al.: Proc. IEEE 61 (1973) 1443.Google Scholar
- 3).H. Haken and A. Schenzle: Z. Phys. 258 (1973) 231.Google Scholar
- 4).E. Hanamura: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 37 (1974) 1554.Google Scholar
- 5).M. Inoue: J. Phys. Soc. Japan 37 (1974) 1560.Google Scholar