Covariance principle and covariance group in presence of external E.M. Fields
The definition of (kinematical) covariance, by means of the properties and the equivalence relations of inertial systems, can give, as is well known, very useful information on the admissible equations of motion and on the group theoretical concept of an elementary particle (which is defined as an irreducible quantum-mechanical system obeying such an equation). Here we consider the case where an external (classical) e.m. field is present. In this talk we show that for such a system, the relativistic covariance operator group is in general no longer homomorphic to the covering group of the Poincaré group (as in the free particle case), but to contain it only as a factor group. This larger covariance group can be derived on the basis of some simple physical assumptions, independently of any equation of motion.
Its (projective unitary-antiunitary) irreducible representations have been all determined and classified. Some conclusions are drawn concerning the properties of the corresponding covariant equations of motion and a group theoretical definition of an elementary particle in interaction with such a field is proposed (The special case of zero field reduces of course to the known results of Wigner). Some aspects of this approach lead to a possible solution of the so-called a-causality troubles for particles with spin equal to or larger than 1.
KeywordsIrreducible Representation Covariance Group Inertial System Minimal Coupling Covariant Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E.P. Wigner, Ann. of Math. 40, 149 (39).Google Scholar
- G. Velo and D. Zwanziger, Phys. Rev. 186, 1337 (69).Google Scholar
- G. Velo and D. Zwanziger, Phys. Rev. 188, 2218 (69).Google Scholar
- A.S. Wightman,“Troubles in the external field problem for invariant wave equation” ed. Gordon and Breath (1971).Google Scholar
- U. Cattaneo and A. Janner, J. Math. Phys. 15, 1155 (74) and 15, 1166 (74), G. Rideau, Phys. Scripta, 9, 163 (74).Google Scholar
- N. Giovannini, Covariance in presence of external e.m. field, preprint (june 1975), (to be published).Google Scholar
- N. Giovannini, Elementary particles in external e.m. fields, preprint (june 1975), (to be published).Google Scholar
- A. Janner and T. Janssen, Physica 53, 1 (71).Google Scholar
- L.C. Chen and T. Janssen, Physics 77, 290 (74).Google Scholar
- E.M. Stein in “High energy and elementary particles”, Trieste, 1965, IAEE Vienne, p. 563.Google Scholar
- H. Bacry, Ph. Combe and J.L. Richard, N. Cim. 70A, 267 (70).Google Scholar
- R. Schrader, Fort. der Phys. 20, 701 (72) 61–71Google Scholar