Temperature distribution and lifetime of interplanetary ice grains
An improved solution of the temperature distribution of interplanetary ice grains is presented using the refractive index measured at 100° K. The efficiency factors for absorption are obtained from Mie theory and the calculation is carried out for micronic and submicronic grains at 50, 100 and 150° K; corresponding lifetimes are given.
KeywordsRefractive Index Temperature Distribution Latent Heat Heliocentric Distance Efficiency Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen,C.W. 1973, Astrophysical Quantities, third Edition, The Athlone Press, London.Google Scholar
- Irvine,W.M. and Pollack,J.B. 1968, Icarus 8, 324.Google Scholar
- Isobe,S. 1971, Ann. Tokyo Astron. Obs. 12, 263.Google Scholar
- Jancso,G., Pupezin,J. and Van Hook,W.A. 1970, J. Phys. Chem. 74, 2984.Google Scholar
- Labs,D. and Neckel,H. 1968, Z. Astrophys. 69, 1.Google Scholar
- Lamy,Ph.L. 1974, Astron. Astrophys. 35, 197.Google Scholar
- Mukai,T. and Mukai,S. 1973, Publ. Astron. Soc. Japan 25, 481.Google Scholar