Dust in the outer solar system - review of early results from Pioneers 10 and 11
The Pioneer 10/11 spacecraft, launched in 1972 and 1973, carried three experiments to measure cosmic dust. A comparison of these first direct measurements of dust in the outer solar system indicates that the sizes, optical properties, and spatial distribution are more complex than previously supposed.
KeywordsHeliocentric Distance Asteroid Belt Cosmic Dust Interplanetary Dust Micron Particle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alvarez, J.M. (1976), “The Cosmic Dust Environment at Earth, Jupiter and Interplanetary Space: Results from Langley Experiments on MTS, Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11”, these proceedings.Google Scholar
- Berg, O. E., and Grdn, E.“Evidence of Hyperbolic Cosmic Dust Particles” Space Research XII, Eds. M. J. Rycroft and S. K. Runcorn (Akademie-Verlag, Berlin, 1973).Google Scholar
- Dohnanyi, J. S. “Collisional Model of Asteroids and Their Debris” Jour. Geophys. Res. 74, 2531–2554 (1969).Google Scholar
- Hanner, M.S., Sparrow, J.G., Weinberg, J.L., Beeson, D.E. (1976), “Pioneer 10 Observations of Zodiacal Light Brightness Near the Ecliptic; Changes with Heliocentric Distances”, these proceedings.Google Scholar
- Hanner, M. S. and Weinberg, J. L. “Changes in Zodiacal Light With Heliocentric Distance: Preliminary Results from Pioneer 10” Space Research XIV, Eds. M. J. Rycroft and R. D. Reasenberg, 769–772 (Akademie-Verlag, Berlin, 1974).Google Scholar
- Hoffmann, H. J., Fechtig, H., Grün, E., and Kissel, J.“First Results of the Micrometeoroid Experiment S215 on the HEOS 2 Satellite” Planet. Space Sci. 23, 215–224 (1975).Google Scholar
- Humes, D. H., Alvarez, J. M., Kinard, W. H. and O'Neal, R. L. “Pioneer 11 Meteoroid Detection Experiment: Preliminary Results,” Science 188, 473–474 (1975).Google Scholar
- Neukum, G. “Micrometeoroid Erosion of Lunar Rocks” Space ResearchXIV, Eds. M. J. Rycroft and R. D. Reasenberg, 739–740 (Akademie-Verlag, Berlin, 1974).Google Scholar
- Soberman, R. K., Neste, S. L. and Lichtenfeld, K. “Optical Measurement of Interplanetary Particulates from Pioneer 10” Jour. Geophys. Res. 79, 3685–3694 (1974).Google Scholar
- Zook, H. A., and Soberman, R. K. “The Radial Dependence of the Zodiacal Light” Space Research XIV, Eds. M. J. Rycroft and R. D. Reasenberg, 763–767 (Akademie-Verlag, Berlin, 1974).Google Scholar