Well formed programs optimal with respect to structural complexity
A measure of the complicacy of a program can be given considering the minimum number of exits of iterative blocks needed in order to write a program strongly equivalent to the given one.
On the basis of such intuitive notion we introduce in the paper a measure of the "structural complexity" of programs.
This complexity for arbitrary programs can be evaluated by constructing suitable well formed programs. The definition of well formedness is presented and it is shown to be a modification of the one given by Peterson, Kasami and Tokura. On the basis of the above definitions we present an algorithm to construct well formed programs and we prove that the notion of well formedness introduced is well founded.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).W.W. Peterson, T.Kasami and Tokura, "On the capabilities of while, repeat and exit statements", Comm. ACM (1973).Google Scholar
- 2).G. De Michelis and C. Simone, "Semantic characterization of Flow-diagrams and their decomposability", Proc. 2nd Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming, Springer (1974).Google Scholar
- 3).W.A. Wulf, D.B. Russel and N. Haberman, "BLISS: A language for system programming", Comm. ACM 14 (1971).Google Scholar
- 4).G. DeMichelis, G.A. Lanzarone and C. Simone "Control structures and control environments: a critical assesment"-GEC International report (1975).Google Scholar
- 5).C. Böhm and G. Jacopini, "Flow-diagrams, Turing machines and languages with only two formation rules", Comm. ACM 9 (May 1966).Google Scholar
- 6).S. Rao Kosaraju, "Analysis of structured programs", Proc. 5th Annual ACM Symposium Theory of Computing (1973).Google Scholar
- 7).N. Wirth, "On certain basic concepts of programming languages", STANCS-65 (1967).Google Scholar
- 8).D.E. Knuth, "Structured Programming with GOTO statements", Computing Surveys 6–4 (Dec. 1974).Google Scholar
- 9).A. Maggiolo Schettini and H.R. Strong, "A Graph-theoretic Algorithm for transforming Recursive Programs", Atti Congresso Informatica Teorica, Pisa (1973).Google Scholar
- 10).A.N. Gileadi and H.F. Ledgard: "On a proposed Measure of Program Structure" Sigplean Notices 9-5 (1974).Google Scholar
- 11).D.E. Knuth: "The art of Computer Programming: vol. 3" Addison Wesley (1973).Google Scholar