On traveling wave solutions of nonlinear diffusion equations
An existence proof for periodic traveling wave solutions of an equation of Nagumo is outlined. The proof begins with the analysis of a limiting case in which one set of dependent variables moves infinitely fast compared to the remainder. Singular “orbits” are defined for this limiting system and a perturbation argument using isolating blocks allows one to find actual solutions.
KeywordsPeriodic Orbit Phase Portrait Travel Wave Solution Unstable Manifold Homoclinic Orbit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Conley, C., Hyperbolic sets and the shift automorphism, in this volume.Google Scholar
- Carpenter, G., Thesis, University of Wisconsin, Madison.Google Scholar
- Hastings, S., On traveling wave solutions of the Hodgkin-Huxley equations, (to appear).Google Scholar
- Hastings, S., The existence of periodic solutions to Nagumo's equation (to appear), Quarterly Jour. of Math., September.Google Scholar
- Hastings, S., The existence of homoclinic orbits for Nagumo's equation, (to appear).Google Scholar