Aapl: An array processing language
AAPL is a dialect of APL designed to be more amenable to compilation than the standard version of APL. The principal differences include the use of name prefixes, the ability to accept a limited character set for denoting the primitive functions, some variations and restrictions on the use of the program-branching primitive, and some additional I/O primitives. The reasons for each of these modifications are discussed in detail, as well as the implications for transportability between the two dialects. An implementation of AAPL has been undertaken for the STARAN Associative Processor. An outline of this implementation and a progress report on the work is presented.
KeywordsMemory Management Single Label Execution Code Supervisor Module Primitive Symbol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- APL/360-OS and APL/360-DOS User's Manual, IBM Publication GH20-0906 (1970).Google Scholar
- Sandra Pakin, APL-360 Reference Manual, Science Research Associates, Inc., (1972), 192 pp.Google Scholar
- Kenneth J. Thurber and John W. Myrna, "System Design of a Cellular APL Computer", IEEE Transactions on Computers (April, 1970), vol. C-19, No. 4, pp. 199–212.Google Scholar
- A. Hassitt, J. W. Lageschulte, and L. E. Lyon, "Implementation of a High Level Language Machine," Communications of the ACM (April, 1973), vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 291–303.Google Scholar
- A. D. Falkoff and K. E. Iverson, "The Design of APL", IBM J. Res. Develop. (July, 1973), vol. 17, pp. 324–334.Google Scholar
- Tom McMurchie, "A Limited Character APL Symbolism", APL Quote-Quad (November, 1970), vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 3–4.Google Scholar
- P. E. Hagerty, "An APL Symbol Set for Model 35 Teletypes", APL Quote-Quad (September, 1970), vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 6–8.Google Scholar
- Glen Seeds, "APL Character Mnemonics", APL Quote-Quad (Fall, 1974), vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 3–9.Google Scholar
- A. D. Falkoff and K. E. Iverson, APLSV User's Manual, IBM Publication SH20-1460 (1973).Google Scholar
- R. A. Kelley, "APLGOL, an Experimental Structured Programming Language", IBM J. Res. Develop. (January, 1973), vol. 17, pp. 69–73.Google Scholar
- M. A. Jenkins, A Control Structure Extension to APL, Department of Computing and Information Science, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Technical Report No. 21, (September, 1973), 13 pp.Google Scholar
- James R. Bell, "Threaded Code", Communications of the ACM (June, 1973), vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 370–372.Google Scholar