State-space approach in problem-solving optimization
In this paper we have proposed a new description of SSPS, called syntactic description, which constitutes a framework useful to structure a rich content of informations about a given problem.
The semantic description has been shown to be equivalent to the syntactic description of SSPS.
A method has been briefly outlined, which is based on the semantic description, and which makes possible to extract, in an automatic way, i. e., by computation, the heuristic information useful to guide the search in the state space.
The future research work shall be addressed to the exploitation of the semantic description as a powerful basis on which to formulate procedures apted to solve the main goal of automatic problem-solving.
In particular the direction of heuristic guided search and learning will be investigated.
KeywordsOptimum Cost Problem Representation Semantic Description Semantic Domain Heuristic Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Feigenbaum, E., and Feldman, J. (eds). Computers and Thought. Mc Graw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1963.Google Scholar
- Minsky, M. (ed). Semantic Information Processing. The M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1968.Google Scholar
- Nilsson, N. Problem-Solving Methods in Artificial Intelligence. Mc Graw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- Slagle, J. Artificial Intelligence: the Heuristic Programming Approach. Mc Graw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- Amarel, S. On Representations of Problems on Reasoning about Actions. Michie, D. (ed.) Machine Intelligence 3, pp. 131–171. American Elsevier Publishing Company, Inc., New York, 1968.Google Scholar
- Hart, P., Nilsson, N., and Raphael, B. A Formal Basis for the Heuristic Determination of Minimum Cost Paths. IEEE Trans. Sys.Sci. Cybernetics, vol. SSC-4, no.2, pp. 100–107, July 1968.Google Scholar
- Mandrioli, D., Sangiovanni Vincentelli, A., and Somalvico, M. Towards a Theory of Problem-Solving. Marzollo, A. (ed). Topics on Artificial Intelligence. Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., New York, 1973.Google Scholar
- Sangiovanni Vincentelli, A., and Somalvico, M. Theoretical Formalisation of the State-Space Method for Automatic Problem Solving. (In Italian). MP-AI Project. MEMO MP-AIM-6, October 1972.Google Scholar
- Sangiovanni Vincentelli, A., and Somalvico, M. Theoretical Aspects of State-Space Approach to Problem-Solving. Proc. VII International Congress on Cybernetics, Namur, September 1973 (a).Google Scholar
- Sangiovanni Vincentelli, A., and Somalvico M. Problem-Solving Methods in Computer-Aided Medical Diagnosis. Proc. XX International Scientific Conference on Electronics, Rome, March 1973 (b).Google Scholar