The computation of general problems in one dimensional unsteady flow by the method of characteristics
This paper describes the logical structure of a general purpose characteristic code RICSHAW which overcomes many of the difficulties that have previously discouraged the use of such codes. The code has the ability to consider multiple shocks, shock interactions and formation of shocks in compression waves in any number of regions using arbitrary equations of state. The relative advantages of characteristic and finite difference schemes are discussed and comparisons are given with calculations using a finite difference mesh code. It is shown that for similar usage of computer time the characteristic code gives smoother solutions, with much greater certainty of the position of shocks and other waves, and a physical insight into the wave phenomena that occur.
KeywordsUnsteady Flow Blast Wave Compression Wave Negative Characteristic Characteristic Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. C. Chou, R. R. Karpp and S. L. Huang, “Numerical Calculation of Blast Waves by the Method of Characteristics”, Journal AIAA, 5, 1967, pp 618–623.Google Scholar
- 2.A. E. Glennie, “Solution by Characteristics of the Equations of One-dimensional Unsteady Flow”, Numerical Solution of Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations edited by L. Fox (Pergamon Press, London, 1962) pp 325–338.Google Scholar
- 3.N. E. Hoskin, “Solution by Characteristics of the Equations of One-dimensional Unsteady Flow”, Methods in Computational Physics edited by B. Alder, S. Fernbach and M. Rotenberg (Academic Press, New York, 1964) pp 265–293.Google Scholar
- 4.B. D. Lambourn and J. E. Hartley, “The Calculation of the Hydrodynamic Behaviour of Plane One-dimensional Explosive/Metal Systems”, Proceedings of Fourth Symposium (International) on Detonation, ACR-126 (Naval Ordnance Laboratory, 1965) pp 538–554.Google Scholar
- 5.P. W. Wright, G. Eden and B. D. Lambourn, “Behaviour of Various Materials under Multiple Shocking”, Behaviour of Dense Media under High Dynamic Pressures (Dunod, Paris, 1968) pp 137–152.Google Scholar
- 6.A. I. Zhukov, No. 58 Tr. Mat. Inst. Attad. Nauk. SSSR.Google Scholar