Robotic System for Femoral & Tibial Osteotomies Assistance
Typical osteotomy procedures around the knee joint involve the removal of a wedged shaped section of bone from either the proximal tibia or distal femur in order to correct a deformity and alter the alignment of the lower extremities. Unfortunately, the subjective nature of the preoperative planning and free-hand surgical techniques currently employed can lead to significant outcome variability and high complication rates. A prototype computer-robotic system, KneeCAS-1 (Knee Computer-Assisted System), has been developed to assist such osteotomy procedures around the knee joint. It consists of a custom-built six degree-of-freedom “fail-hard” surgical robot, with an instrumented saw driver unit, and a computer based planning system. It is intended to perform automated cutting (sawing) of the osteotomy planes under surgeon supervision.
KeywordsRobotic System High Tibial Osteotomy Surgical Robot Active Robot Optical Tracking System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berman, A.T., Bosacco, S.J., Kirshner, S. and Avolio, A. Factors influencing long-term results in high tibial osteotomy. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related research, 1991, 272, 192–198.Google Scholar
- Coventry, M.B., Ilstrup, D.M. and Wallrichs, S.L. Proximal tibial osteotomy: A critical long-term study of eighty-seven cases. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, 1993, 75A(2), 196–201.Google Scholar
- Insall, J.N., Joseph, D.M. and Msika, C. High tibial osteotomy for varus gonarthrosis: A long-term follow-up study. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, 1984, 66A(7), 1040–1048.Google Scholar
- Insall, J.N. Osteotomy. In: Insall, J.N., Windsor, R.E., Scott, W.N., Kelly, M.A. and Aglietti, P. (eds.), Surgery of the Knee, Churchill Livingstone, New York, 1993, pp. 635–676.Google Scholar
- Mathews, J., Cobb, A.G., Richardson, S. and Bentley, G. Distal femoral osteotomy for lateral compartment osteoarthritis of the knee. Orthopaedics, 1998, 21(4), 437–440.Google Scholar
- Moctezuma, J.L., Gossé, F. and Schultz, H.-J. A computer and robotic aided surgery system for accomplishing osteotomies. Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery. (MRCAS’94), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 22–24 Sept. 1994, 31–35.Google Scholar