Prototypical examples of stratified shear flow
Stratification effects on turbulence are examined in some fundamental shear flows. The differences between unbounded flows and those with walls are indicated. The role of the gradient Richardson number is assessed. Detailed results on turbulence energetics, transport and mixing are presented.
KeywordsShear Layer Turbulent Kinetic Energy Direct Numerical Simulation Richardson Number Horizontal Shear
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Basak and S. Sarkar. Dynamics of a Stratified Shear Layer with Horizontal Shear. submitted, 2005.Google Scholar
- R. E. Britter. An experiment on turbulence in a density stratified fluid. PhD thesis, Monash Univerity, Australia, 1974.Google Scholar
- S. Komori. Turbulence structure in stratified flow. PhD thesis, Kyoto Univerity, Japan, 1980.Google Scholar
- M. Lesieur. Turbulence in fluids, 3rd edn. Springer, 1997.Google Scholar
- R. S. Rogallo. Numerical experiments in homogeneous turbulence. NASA TM 81315, 1981.Google Scholar
- M. M. Rogers, P. Moin, and W. C. Reynolds. The structure and modeling of the hydrodynamic and passive scalar fields in homogeneous turbulent shear flow. PhD thesis, Stanford University, Report TF-25, Mechanical Engr., 1989.Google Scholar
- J. Taylor, S. Sarkar, and V. Armenio. Large eddy simulation of stably stratified open channel flow, submitted, 2005.Google Scholar