Computational asymptotic post-buckling analysis of slender elastic structures
The lectures provide an introduction to the computational treatment of Koiter’s asymptotic strategy for post-buckling analysis of thin elastic structures.
The analysis of slender structures characterized by complex buckling and post-buckling phenomena and by a strong imperfection sensitivity, suffers from a lack of adequate computational tools. Standard algorithms, based on incremental-iterative approaches, are computationally expensive: it is practically impossible to perform the large number of successive runs necessary for the sensitivity analysis, that is, to evaluate the reduction in load due to all possible imperfections. Finite element implementations of Koiter’s perturbation method give a convenient alternative for that purpose. The analysis is very fast, of the same order as a linearized stability analysis and new analyses for different imperfections only require a fraction of the first analysis time.
The main objective of the present course is to show that finite element implementations of Koiter’s method can be both accurate and reliable.
KeywordsLimit Load Equilibrium Path Nonlinear Eigenvalue Problem Asymptotic Approach Euler Beam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antman S.S., ‘Bifurcation problems for nonlinearly elastic structures’, Rabinowitz ed., Application of Bifurcation Theory, Academic Press, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- Bilotta A., Garcea G., Trunfio G.A., Casciaro R., ‘Postcritical analysis of thin-walled structures by KASP (Koiter Analysis of Slender Panels) code’, Report APRICOS-DE-1.3-03-1/UNICAL, Sept. 1997.Google Scholar
- Budiansky B., ‘Theory of buckling and post-buckling of elastic structures’, Advances in Applied Mechanics, Vol.14, Academic Press, New York, 1974.Google Scholar
- Casciaro R., Di Carlo A., Pignataro M., ‘A finite element technique for bifurcation analysis’, Proc. 14th IUTAM Congress, Delft, The Netherlands, august–sept. 1976.Google Scholar
- Casciaro R., Aristodemo M., ‘Perturbation analysis of geometrically nonlinear structures’, Proc. Int. Conference on Finite Elements Nonlinear Solid and Structural Mechanics, Geilo, Norway, august–sept. 1977.Google Scholar
- Casciaro R., Lanzo A.D., Salerno G.,‘Computational problems in elastic structural stability’, in Nonlinear Problems in engineering, C. Carmignani, G. Maino eds., World Scientific publ., Singapore, 1991.Google Scholar
- Casciaro R., ‘Un algoritmo per il problema non lineare agli autovalori’ 13th AIMETA Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Brescia, Italy, November 13–15, 2000.Google Scholar
- Casciaro R., Mancusi G., Formica G., ‘Analisi post-critica in presenza di instabilità locali accoppiate’, 16th AIMETA Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Ferrara, Italy, Sept. 9–13, 2003.Google Scholar
- Gallagher R. H., ‘Perturbation procedures in nonlinear finite element analysis’, Int. Conference on Computation Methods in Nonlinear Mechanics, Texas (USA), 1974.Google Scholar
- Garcea G., Bilotta A., Trunfio G.A., Casciaro R., ‘Mixed implementation in Koiter nonlinear analysis of thin-walled structures: KASP implementation’, Report APRICOS-DE-1.3-10/UNICAL, Sept. 1998.Google Scholar
- Koiter W.T., Current Trends in the Theory of Buckling, In Buckling of structures, B. Budiansky ed., Proc.of IUTAM symposium, Cambridge, Cambridge, June 17–21, 1974, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1976.Google Scholar
- Koiter W.T., Elastic stability, Koiter’s course 1978–79, Technologic University of Delft, manuscript transcription by A.M.A. v.d. Heijden.Google Scholar
- Livesley R.K., Matrix Methods of Structural Analysis, 2nd ed., Pergamon Press.Google Scholar
- Salerno G., Colletta G., Casciaro R., ‘Attractive post-critical paths and stochastic imperfection sensitivity analysis of nonlinear elastic structures within an FEM context’, 2nd ECCOMAS Conference on Numerical Methods in Engineering, Paris, France, Sept. 9–13, 1996.Google Scholar
- Timoshenko S.P., Gere J.M., Theory of Elastic Stability, Mc Graw Hill.Google Scholar
- W.H. Wittrick, F.W. Williams, ‘An algorithm for computing critical buckling loads of elastic structures’, J. Struct. Mech., 1(4), pp.497–518, 1973.Google Scholar
- G. M. van Erp, ‘Advanced buckling analyses of beam with arbitrary cross section’, Ph.D. Thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology (1989).Google Scholar