Neural Networks for Extraction of Fuzzy Logic Rules with Application to EEG Data
The extraction of logical rules from data is a key application of artificial neural networks (ANNs) in data mining. However, most of the ANN-based rule extraction methods rely primarily on heuristics, and their underlying theoretical principles are not very deep. That is especially much true for methods extracting fuzzy logic rules, which usually allow to mix different logical connectives in such a way that extracted rules can not be correctly evaluated in any particular fuzzy logic model. This paper shows that mixing of connectives is not needed. A method for fuzzy rules extraction for which the evaluation of the extracted rules in a single model is the basic principle is outlined and illustrated on a case study with EEG data.
KeywordsFuzzy Logic Fuzzy Rule Logical Connective Disjunctive Normal Form Rule Extraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duch, W., Adamczak, R., and Grabczewski, K. (2000). A new methodology of extraction, optimization and application of crisp and fuzzy logical rules. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 11:277–306.Google Scholar
- Andrews, R., Diederich, J., and Tickle, A. (1995). Survey and critique of techniques for extracting rules from trained artificical neural networks. Knowledge Based Systems, 8:378–389.Google Scholar
- Amato, P., Di Nola, A., and Gerla, B. (2005). Neural networks and rational Lukasiewicz logic. Accepted for Publication in Journal of Multiple-Valued Logic and Soft Computing.Google Scholar
- Amato, P. and Porto, M. (2000). An algorithm for the automatic generation of logical formula representing a control law. Neural Network World, 10:777–786.Google Scholar
- Nauck, D., Nauck, U., and Kruse, R. (1996). Generating classification rules with the neuro-fuzzy system NEFCLASS. In Proceedings of the Biennial Conference of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society NAFIPS’96, pp. 466–470.Google Scholar
- Hájek, P. (1998). Metamathematics of Fuzzy Logic. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Novak, V., Perfilieva, I., and Močkoř, J. (1999). Mathematical Principles of Fuzzy Logic. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Faber, J., Novak, M., Svoboda, P., and Tatarinov, V. (2003). Electrical brain wave analysis during hypnagogium. Neural Network World, 13:41–54.Google Scholar