Evolving Segments Length in Golomb Rulers
An evolutionary algorithm based on Random Keys to represent Golomb Rulers segments, has been found to be a reliable option for finding Optimal Golomb Rulers in a short amount of time, when comparing with standard methods. This paper presents a modified version of this evolutionary algorithm where the maximum segment length for a Golomb Ruler is also part of the evolutionary process. Attained experimental results shows us that this alteration does not seems to provide significant benefits to the static version of the algorithm.
KeywordsEvolutionary Algorithm Simple Heuristic Facility Layout Good Ruler Facility Layout Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Golomb, S.: How to Number a Graph. In: Graph Theory and Computing. Academic Press (1972) 23–37Google Scholar
- Blum, E., Biraud, F., Ribes, J.: On optimal synthetic linear arrays with applications to radioastronomy. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation AP-22 (1974) 108–109Google Scholar
- Soliday, S., Homaifar, A., G., L.: Genetic algorithm approach to the search for golomb rulers. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (ICGA-95), Morgan Kaufmann (1995) 528–535Google Scholar
- Feeney, B.: Determining optimum and near-optimum golomb rulers using genetic algorithms. Master’s thesis, University College Cork (2003)Google Scholar
- Pereira, F.B., Tavares, J., Costa, E.: Golomb rulers: The advantage of evolution. In: Proceedings of the 11th Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Workshop on Artificial Life and Evolutionary Algorithms (ALEA), EPIA’03. (2003) 27–33Google Scholar
- Cotta, C., Fernndez, A.J.: A hybrid grasp-evolutionary algorithm approach to golomb ruler search. In: Proceedings of Parallel Problem Solving from Nature (PPSNVIII). (2004)Google Scholar
- Tavares, J., Pereira, F.B., Costa, E.: Understanding the role of insertion and correction in the evolution of golomb rulers. In: Proceedings of the 2004 Congress on EC (CEC04). (2004) 69–76Google Scholar
- Norman, B., Smith, A.: Random keys genetic algorithm with adaptive penalty function for optimization of constrained facility layout problems. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE (1997) 407–411Google Scholar