A Connectionist Model of Finding Partial Groups in Music Recordings with Application to Music Transcription
In this paper, we present a technique for tracking groups of partials in musical signals, based on networks of adaptive oscillators. We show how synchronization of adaptive oscillators can be utilized to detect periodic patterns in outputs of a human auditory model and thus track stable frequency components (partials) in musical signals. We present the integration of the partial tracking model into a connectionist system for transcription of polyphonic piano music. We provide a short overview of our transcription system and present its performance on transcriptions of several real piano recordings.
KeywordsAudio Signal Basilar Membrane Transcription System Oscillator Network Partial Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abdallah S., Plumbley M. (2004). Polyphonic transcription by non-negative sparse coding of power spectra. Proceedings of ISMIR’2004, Barcelona, Spain.Google Scholar
- Bello, J. P., Daudet, L. & Sandier, M. B. (2002). Time-Domain Polyphonic Transcription using Self-Generating Databases. In Proceedings of the 112th AES Convention. Munich, Germany.Google Scholar
- Klapuri A., Virtanen, T., Eronen, A. & Seppänen, J. (2001). Automatic transcription of musical recordings. Proceedings of Consistent & Reliable Acoustic Cues Workshop, CRAC-01, Aalborg, Denmark.Google Scholar
- Sterian. A.D. (1999). Model-based Segmentation of Time-Frequency Images for Musical Transcription. Ph.D. Thesis, Univesity of Michigan.Google Scholar
- Marchand, S. (2001). An efficient pitch-tracking algorithm using a combination of Fourier transforms, Proceedings of DAFX-01, Limerick, Ireland.Google Scholar
- Roads. C. (1996). The Computer Music Tutorial. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Patterson, R. D. & Hodsworth J. (1990). A functional model of neural activity patterns and auditory images. Advances in speech, hearing and auditory images 3, W.A. Ainsworth (ed.), London: JAI Press.Google Scholar
- Large E.W., Kolen, J.F. (1994). Resonance and the perception of musical meter. Connection Science, vol. 2, no. 6, 177–208.Google Scholar
- Marolt M. (2004). A Connectionist Approach to Transcription of Polyphonic Piano Music. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, June 2004, Vol.6, Issue 3.Google Scholar