Helical TomoTherapy System
Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) treatments are characterized by high dose conformality to the target with steep dose gradients, so even slight patient misalignment from patient simulation to treatment could lead to a geographical miss resulting in underdosing of the target or overdosing of organs at risk (OARs). The role of the numerous imaging modalities available for SBRT treatments is crucial for precise delivery of radiation treatments. Furthermore, many treatment delivery techniques are available and may prove advantageous for site-specific SBRT treatments. In recent years, image guidance has matured sufficiently to allow acquisition of volumetric image data sets by treatment machines with the patient in the treatment position and then use registration techniques to automatically or manually align and shift the patient to the planned treatment position. This chapter discusses the use of the Tomotherapy Hi-Art® machine, which delivers Helical Tomotherapy Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) and uses built-in megavoltage computerized tomography (MVCT) for Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT).
KeywordsIntensity Modulate Radiation Therapy Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Helical Tomotherapy Multileaf Collimator Patient Setup
- Baisden JM, Romney DA, Reish AG, Cai J, Sheng K, Jones DR, Benedict SH, Read PW, Larner JM (2007) Dose as a function of lung volume and planned treatment volume in helical tomotherapy intensity-modulated radiation therapy-based stereotactic body radiation therapy for small lung tumors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 68(4):1229–1237PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dunlap N, McIntosh A, Sheng K, Yang W, Turner B, Shoushtari A, Sheehan J, Jones DR, Lu W, Ruchala K, Olivera G, Parnell D, Larner JL, Benedict SH, Read PW (2010) Helical tomotherapy-based STAT stereotactic body radiation therapy: dosimetric evaluation for a real-time SBRT treatment planning and delivery program. Med Dosim 35(4):312–319PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Grant WH III, Butler EB, Verellen D (2012) Tomotherapy image guided radiation therapy. In: Levitt SH, Purdy JA, Perez CA, Poortmans P (eds) Technical basis of radiation therapy, 5th edn. Springer, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Hodge W, Tome WA, Jaradat HA, Orton NP, Khuntia D, Traynor A, Weigel T, Mehta MP (2006) Feasibility report of image guided stereotactic body radiotherapy (IG-SBRT) with tomotherapy for early stage medically inoperable lung cancer using extreme hypofractionation. Acta Oncol 45(7):890–896PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements (1999) Prescribing, recording, and reporting photon beam therapy. Bethesda Google Scholar