Adrenal metastases can arise from multiple malignancies, mainly lung, breast, renal, gastric, hepatocellular carcinomas, melanoma, and many others. The greatest risk for spread to the adrenal glands is seen with lung carcinoma (Abrams et al., Cancer 3:74–85, 1950). Multiple treatment options are available to treat adrenal metastases, including open and laparoscopic adrenalectomy, radiofrequency ablation, transarterial chemoembolization, palliative radiation, and more recently stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT). Here we discuss the role and the benefit of SBRT in the management of adrenal metastases, including technical aspects, clinical applications, and treatment toxicities. We also include clinical case examples to illustrate the treatment plan, isodose lines, and dose–volume histograms. We conclude with future directions in the use of SBRT for adrenal metastases.
KeywordsPositron Emission Tomography Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Gross Tumor Volume Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy Adrenal Metastasis
- Adler JT, Mack E, Chen H (2007) Equal oncologic results for laparoscopic and open resection of adrenal metastases. J Surg Res 140(2):159–164Google Scholar
- Blumenschein GR Jr, Khuri FR, von Pawel J et al (2008) Phase III trial comparing carboplatin, paclitaxel, and bexarotene with carboplatin and paclitaxel in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer: SPIRIT II. J Clin Oncol 26:1879–1885PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eldaya RW, Paulino AC, Blanco AI et al (in press) Preservation of adrenal function after successful stereotactic body radiation therapy of metastatic renal cell carcinoma involving the remaining contralateral adrenal gland. Pract Radiat OncolGoogle Scholar
- Guiou M, Mayr NA, Kim EY, Williams T, Lo SS (2012) Stereotactic body radiotherapy for adrenal metastases from lung cancer. J Radiat Oncol. doi: 10.1007/s13566-012-0037-8 (online first 16 May 2012)
- Scorsetti M, Mancosu P, Navarria P, Tozzi A, Castiglioni S, Clerici E, Reggiori G, Lobefalo F, Fogliata A, Cozzi L (2011) Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for adrenal metastases: a feasibility study of advanced techniques with modulated photons and protons. Strahlenther Onkol 187(4):238–244PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar