Since lung cancer generally has a high, stage- and histology-dependent propensity for brain metastases, many patients receive prophylactic or therapeutic radiotherapy to the brain and are therefore at risk for developing acute, subacute or chronic side effects. Certain types of systemic treatment might also cause brain toxicity. In this chapter the different types of toxicity, the pathogenesis and emerging prevention and treatment strategies are reviewed.
KeywordsBrain Metastasis Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation Central Nervous System Radiotherapy
- Akassoglou K, Bauer J, Kassiotis G et al (1998) Oligodendrocyte apoptosis and primary demyelination by local TNF/p55TNF receptor signaling in the central nervous system of transgenic mice: models for multiple sclerosis with primary oligodendrogliopathy. Am J Pathol 153:801–813PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Calvo W, Hopewell JW, Reinhold HS, Yeung TK (1988) Time- and dose-related changes in the white matter of the rat brain after single doses of X-rays. Br J Biol 61:1043–1052Google Scholar
- Le Pechoux C, Laplanche A, Faivre-Finn C et al (2011) Clinical neurological outcome and quality of life among patients with limited small-cell cancer treated with two different doses of prophylactic cranial irradiation in the intergroup phase III trial (PCI 99-01, EORT 22003-08004, RTOG 0212 and IFCT 99-01). Ann Oncol [epub ahead of print]Google Scholar
- Levin VA, Bidaut L, Hou P, Kumar AJ, Wefel JS, Bekele BN, Prabhu S, Loghin M, Gilbert MR, Jackson EF (2011) Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of bevacizumab therapy for radiation necrosis of the central nervous system. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 79(5):1487–1495Google Scholar
- Rajeswaran A, Trojan A, Burnand B, Giannelli M (2008) Efficacy and side effects of cisplatin- and carboplatin-based doublet chemotherapeutic regimens versus non-platinum-based doublet chemotherapeutic regimens as first line treatment of metastatic non-small cell lung carcinoma: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Lung Cancer 59:1–11PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Van der Kogel AJ (1986) Radiation-induced damage in the central nervous system: an interpretation of target cell responses. Br J Cancer 53(Suppl 7):207–217Google Scholar