Sports Injuries in Children and Adolescents: Classification, Epidemiology, and Clinical Examination
Important issues regarding accurate diagnosis and/or differential diagnosis of sports injuries in young athletes include: a thorough history focusing on age of the athlete, type of sport, point of maximum intensity of pain, onset and timing of pain in relation to the sport, associated neurovascular symptoms, previous injuries, and presence of swelling, deformity and bruising. Whereas avulsion fractures occur in the growing skeleton, it is uncommon to see musculotendinous and ligamentous injuries in pediatric athletes. Familiarity with the classification of the musculoskeletal injuries and the limitations of the various clinical tests in each anatomic area, allow accurate referral for imaging. The incidence of musculoskeletal injuries largely depends on the type of sport, level of performance (competition/match vs. noncompetition/practice), intensity and technique.
KeywordsAnterior Cruciate Ligament Radial Head Knee Injury Ankle Sprain Avulsion Fracture
Academic Unit, Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Clarendon Wing, Leeds General Infirmary, Great George Street, Leeds, LS1 3EX, UK.
- Beckenbaugh RD, Shives TC, Dobyns JH, Linscheid RL (1980) Kienbock’s disease: the natural history of Kienbock’s disease and consideration of lunate fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res (149):98–106Google Scholar
- Bozentka DJ (1998) Cubital tunnel syndrome pathophysiology. Clin Orthop Relat Res (351):90–94Google Scholar
- Fetto JF, Marshall JL (1978) Medial collateral ligament injuries of the knee: a rationale for treatment. Clin Orthop Relat Res (132):206–218Google Scholar
- Maroon JC, Bailes JE (1996) Athletes with cervical spine injury. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:2294–2299Google Scholar
- Neer CS II (1983) Impingement lesions. Clin Orthop Relat Res (173):70–77Google Scholar
- O’Driscoll SW, Morrey BF, Korinek S, An KN (1992) Elbow subluxation and dislocation. A spectrum of instability. Clin Orthop Relat Res 35(1):186–197Google Scholar
- Safran MR (1995) Elbow injuries in athletes. A review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 257–277Google Scholar
- Sobel M, Geppert MJ, Warren RF (1993) Chronic ankle instability as a cause of peroneal tendon injury. Clin Orthop Relat Res 187–191Google Scholar
- Weaver JK (1987) Skiing-related injuries to the shoulder. Clin Orthop Relat Res (216):24–28Google Scholar
- White AA III, Panjabi MM (1987) Update on the evaluation of instability of the lower cervical spine. Instr Course Lect 36:513–520Google Scholar