Towards a Model Level Debugger for the Cougaar Model Driven Architecture System
Model-driven development generates software artifacts from abstract model representations through a series of specification elaboration and refinement activities. Yet, the resulting systems must still be debugged at the source code level; leaving it to the developer to associate the symptoms found during debugging with the root causes in the models. Abstractions in the model result in difficulties correlating between models (where changes are made) and the artifacts (where effects of the changes occur). This paper examines the issues involved in debugging systems produced using a model-driven approach and proposes an architecture for a model level debugger based on our work on the Cougaar Model Driven Architecture (CMDA). We present an approach that mimics current debuggers by storing the relevant mapping and transform information in the model repository during generation and then using it to construct the debugging structures needed for examining the program during execution from the model perspective.
KeywordsSource Code Unify Modeling Language Object Constraint Language Eclipse Model Framework Defense Advance Research Project Agency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bohner, S., George, B., Gracanin, D., Hinchey, M.: Formalism Challenges of the Cougaar Model Driven Architecture. In: FAABS 2004. LNCS. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.OMG: Model Driven Architecture, www.omg.org/mda [Last access: 11/11/05]
- 3.Matloff, N.: Guide to Faster, Less Frustrating Debugging. University of California at Davis (2002), http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/UnixAndC/CLanguage/Debug.html [Last accessed: 11/11/05]
- 4.Wright, D., Freeman-Benson, B.: How to Write an Eclipse Debugger, Eclipse corner article (2004), http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Debugger/how-to.html [Last accessed: 11/11/05]
- 5.Nucleus Bridgepoint: The BridgePoint Model Debugger, Accelerated Technologies Inc., http://www.nrt.se/nrt/uml/Produktinfo/BridgePointModelDebug.pdf [Last access: 11/11/05]
- 6.Ho, A., Hand, S., Harris, T.: Pervasive Debugging. In: AADEBUG 2005 (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.BBN Technologies, COUGAAR Architecture Document for Cougaar Version 11.4 (2004), http://cougaar.org/docman/view.php/17/170/CAD_11_4.pdf [Last accessed: 11/11/05]
- 9.Jacobs, T., Musial, B.: Interactive Visual Debugging with UML. In: Proc. of the 2003 ACM symposium on Software visualization, pp. 115–122 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Raistrick, C.: Model Driven Architecture with Executable UML. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Poutakidis, D., Padgham, L., Winikoff, M.: Debugging Multi-Agent Systems Using Design Artifacts: The Case of Interaction Protocols. In: Proc. of the 1st Int. Joint Conf. on Autonomous Agents & Multi-agent systems, pp. 960–967 (2002)Google Scholar