Extracting Discriminative Patterns from Graph Structured Data Using Constrained Search
A graph mining method, Chunkingless Graph-Based Induction (Cl-GBI), finds typical patterns appearing in graph-structured data by the operation called chunkingless pairwise expansion, or pseudo-chunking which generates pseudo-nodes from selected pairs of nodes in the data. Cl-GBI enables to extract overlapping subgraphs, but it requires more time and space complexities than the older version GBI that employs real chunking. Thus, it happens that Cl-GBI cannot extract patterns that need be large enough to describe characteristics of data within a limited time and given computational resources. In such a case, extracted patterns maynot be so interesting for domain experts. To mine more discriminative patterns which cannot be extracted by the current Cl-GBI, we introduce a search algorithm in which patterns to be searched are guided by domain knowledge or interests of domain experts. We further experimentally show that the proposed method can efficiently extract more discriminative patterns using a real world dataset.
KeywordsDomain Knowledge Domain Expert Information Gain Real World Dataset Graph Database
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cook, D.J., Holder, L.B.: Substructure Discovery Using Minimum Description Length and Background Knowledge. Artificial Intelligence Research 1, 231–255 (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Fortin, S.: The Graph Isomorphism Problem. Technical Report TR96-20, Department of Computer Science, University of Alberta (1996).Google Scholar
- 7.Motoyama, S., Ichise, R., Numao, M.: Knowledge Discovery from Inconstant Time Series Data (in Japanese). JSAI Technical Report, SIG-KBS-A405, pp. 27–32 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Nguyen, P.C., Ohara, K., Mogi, A., Motoda, H., Washio, T.: Constructing Decision Trees for Graph-Structured Data by Chunkingless Graph-Based Induction. In: Ng, W.-K., Kitsuregawa, M., Li, J., Chang, K. (eds.) PAKDD 2006. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 3918, pp. 390–399. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Quinlan, J.R.: Induction of decision trees. Machine Learning 1, 81–106 (1986)Google Scholar
- 11.Sato, Y., Hatazawa, M., Ohsaki, M., Yokoi, H., Yamaguchi, T.: A Rule Discovery Support System in Chronic Hepatitis Datasets. In: First International Conference on Global Research and Education (Inter Academia 2002), pp. 140–143 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Yan, X., Han, J.: gSpan: Graph-Based Structure Pattern Mining. In: Proc. of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2002), pp. 721–724 (2002)Google Scholar