Net-Centric Computing: The Future of Computers and Networking
Futuristic computers will only be thought of in the context of their ubiquitous connectivity. Net-centric computing isn’t communications or networking per se, although it certainly includes both. With the changes in the computing and networking environment we need a different paradigm for distributed computing. The area of net-centric computing encompasses the embedded systems but is much larger in scope. In the near future, many hardware devices will be interconnected in large and highly dynamic distributed systems, using standard communication protocols on standard physical links . Such types of systems exist only for computers interconnected by TCP/IP networks, or for hardware devices interconnected in small areas by using specific protocols for the physical link, such as Bluetooth, Ethernet or X-10.
In this paper we review Net-Centric computing in the perspective of Hardware requirements, Embedded system design, Middleware, Control, IT and provide an insight into the issues and challenges ahead.
KeywordsDistribute Computing Environment Common Architecture Idle Resource Embed System Design Retail Electricity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cole, B.C.: The Emergence of Net-Centric Computing: Network Computers, Internet Appliances, and Connected PCs, January 1999. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1999) (Hardcover)Google Scholar
- 2.Ryan, H.W., et al.: Netcentric Computing: Computing, Communications, and Knowledge. Auerbach Publications (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.ISACA (Society that leads in IT security, assurance and control), Control objective for Net-Centric Technology, IEEE PressGoogle Scholar
- 4.STEP 2005 workshop on Net-Centric Computing (ncc 2005) (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Smith, D., Tilley, S.: On the role of Net-Centric Computing in enterprise Integration Architectures. In: ASERC Software Architecture workshop (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Bodhuin, T., Canfora, I.G., Preziosi, I.R., Tortorella, I.M.: Open Challenges in Ubiquitous and Net-Centric Computing Middleware. In: 13th international workshop on engineering and practice (STEP 2005) (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Gupta, R., Somani, A.K.: CompuP2P: An Architecture for Sharing of Computing Resources In Peer-to-Peer Networks With Selfish Nodes. In: Online Proceedings of Second Workshop on the Economics of Peer-to-Peer Systems, June 2004, Harvard University (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Somani, A.K.: Proposal on Internet as Distributed Computing Environment, personalGoogle Scholar
- 9.Smith, D., Tilley, S.: On the role of net centric computing in enterprise integration architecture. In: ASERC Softaware Workshop (2001)Google Scholar