Learning Segmentation of Documents with Complex Scripts
Most of the state-of-the-art segmentation algorithms are designed to handle complex document layouts and backgrounds, while assuming a simple script structure such as in Roman script. They perform poorly when used with Indian languages, where the components are not strictly collinear. In this paper, we propose a document segmentation algorithm that can handle the complexity of Indian scripts in large document image collections. Segmentation is posed as a graph cut problem that incorporates the apriori information from script structure in the objective function of the cut. We show that this information can be learned automatically and be adapted within a collection of documents (a book) and across collections to achieve accurate segmentation. We show the results on Indian language documents in Telugu script. The approach is also applicable to other languages with complex scripts such as Bangla, Kannada, Malayalam, and Urdu.
KeywordsDigital Library Segmentation Algorithm Document Image Indian Language Segmentation Quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Baird, H.S., Jones, S.E., Fortune, S.J.: Image segmentation by shape-directed covers. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Pattern Recognition(ICPR), pp. 820–825 (1990)Google Scholar
- 7.Ambati, V., Balakrishnan, N.: Reddy, R., Pratha, L., Jawahar, C.V.: The Digital Library of India Project: Process, Policies and Architecture. In: Second International Conference on Digital Libraries(ICDL) (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Shental, N., Zomet, A., Hertz, T., Weiss, Y.: Learning and inferring image segmentations using the GBP typical cut algorithm. In: International Conference in Computer Vision, pp. 1243–1250 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Kumar, M.P., Torr, P.H.S., Zisserman, A.: OBJ CUT. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, San Diego, pp. 18–25 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Baird, H.S.: The skew angle of printed documents. In: Document Image Analysis, pp. 204–208. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1995)Google Scholar
- 14.Kumar, K.S.S., Namboodiri, A.M., Jawahar, C.V.: Learning to segment document images. In: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence (PReMI), pp. 471–476 (2005)Google Scholar