An Integrated Approach for Downscaling MPEG Video
Digital video databases are widely available in compressed format. In many applications such as video browsing, picture in picture, video conferencing etc. data transfer at lower bit rate is required. This requires downscaling of the video before transmission. The conventional spatial domain approach for downscaling video is computationally very expensive. The computation can greatly be reduced if downscaling and inverse motion compensation (IMC) are performed in Discrete Cosine Transform (DCT) domain. There are many algorithms in the literature to perform IMC in the DCT domain. In this paper, we propose an efficient integrated technique to perform IMC and downscaling in DCT domain. This new approach results in significant improvement in computational complexity.
KeywordsDiscrete Cosine Transform Motion Vector Video Stream Machine Instruction Discrete Cosine Transform Domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio for Digital Storage Media up to 1.5 bits/s, ISO/IEC JTC1 CD 11172 (1992)Google Scholar
- 2.Coding of Moving and Associated Audio. Committee Draft of Standard ISO 11172: ISO/MPEG 90/176 (December 1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Video Codec for Audio Visual Services at px64 Kbits/s. CCITT Recommendation H. 261 (1990)Google Scholar
- 4.le Gall, D.: MPEG: A video compression standard for multimedia applications. Commun. ACM 34(4), 47–58 (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Mukherjee, J., Mitra, S.K.: Image resizing in the compressed domain using subband DCT. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technology 12(7) (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Mukherjee, J., Mitra, S.K.: Resizing of images in the DCT space by arbitrary factors. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), Singapore, pp. 2801–2804 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Mukherjee, J., Mitra, S.K.: Arbitrary resizing of images in DCT space. Communicated to IEE Proc. Vis. Image Signal ProcessGoogle Scholar
- 13.Assuncao, P.A.A., Ghanbari, M.: Transcoding of MPEG-2 video in the frequency domain. In: ICASSP 1997, pp. 2633–2636 (1997)Google Scholar
- 14.Song, J., Yeo, B.-L.: A Fast Algorithm for DCT-Domain Inverse Motion Compensation Based on Shared Information in a Macroblock. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 10(5) (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Porwal, S., Mukhopadhyay, J.: A Fast DCT Domain Based Video Downscaling System. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Toulouse, France, pp. 885–888 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Arai, Y., Agui, T., Nakajima, M.: A fast DCT-SQ scheme for images. Trans. IEICE E71(11), 1095 (1998)Google Scholar
- 17.Shen, B., Sethi, I.K., Vasudev, B.: Adaptive Motion Vector Resampling for Compressed Video Downscaling. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technology 9(6) (September 1999)Google Scholar