Nonparametric Neural Network Model Based on Rough-Fuzzy Membership Function for Classification of Remotely Sensed Images
A nonparametric neural network model based on Rough-Fuzzy Membership function, multilayer perceptron, and back-propagation algorithm is described. The described model is capable to deal with rough uncertainty as well as fuzzy uncertainty associated with classification of remotely sensed multi-spectral images. The input vector consists of membership values to linguistic properties while the output vector is defined in terms of rough fuzzy class membership values. This allows efficient modeling of indiscernibility and fuzziness between patterns by appropriate weights being assigned to the back-propagated errors depending upon the Rough-Fuzzy Membership values at the corresponding outputs. The effectiveness of the model is demonstrated on classification problem of IRS-P6 LISS IV images of Allahabad area. The results are compared with statistical (Minimum Distance), conventional MLP, and FMLP models.
KeywordsMembership Function Equivalence Class Kappa Coefficient Neural Network Method Training Vector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bezdek, J.C., Pal, S.K.: Fuzzy Models For Pattern Recognition: Methods that Search for Structures in Data. IEEE Press, New York (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Lippmann, R.P.: An Introduction to Computing with Neural Nets. IEEE Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing Mag. 4, 4–22 (1987)Google Scholar
- 8.Czyzewski, A., Kaczmarek, A.: Speech Recognition Systems Based on Rough Sets and Neural Networks. In: Proc. 3rd Wkshp. Rough Sets and Soft Computing (RSSC 1994), San Jose, CA, pp. 97–100 (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Sarkar, M., Yegnanarayana, B.: Rough-Fuzzy Membership Functions. In: Proc. IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Alaska, USA, vol. 1, pp. 796–801 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Jensen, J.R.: Introductory Digital Image Processing, a Remote Sensing Perspective, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall series in Geographic Information Science (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Gopal, S., Fischer, M.: A Comparison of Three Neural Network Classifiers for Remote Sensing Classification. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium 1, 787–789 (1996)Google Scholar