A Rate Control Using Adaptive Model-Based Quantization
The rate control is an essential component in video coding to provide a uniform quality under given coding constraints. The source distribution to be quantized cannot be defined as a single model in the video sequence. In this paper, we present a new rate control algorithm based on the Generalized Gaussian R-D model. Through considering a relation between adjacent frames or macroblocks, we determine model parameters, and perform a rate control on the H.264/AVC video codec. As shown in experimental results, the proposed algorithm provides an improved quality of the reconstructed picture after encoding. In addition, our scheme generates the number of bits close to the target bitrate.
KeywordsVideo Code Quantization Parameter Video Codec Distortion Parameter Rate Control Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.MPEG-2, MPEG-2 Test Model 5(TM5) Doc.ISO/IEC/ JTC1/SC29/WG11/ N0400, Test Model Editing Committee (April 1994)Google Scholar
- 2.MPEG-4, MPEG-4 Video Verification Model version 16 (VM16) Doc.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11/N3312 (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 3.ITU-T SG16 Video Coding Experts Group, Video Codec Test Model, Near-Term Version 8 (TMN8) (September 1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Ma, S., Gao, W., Gao, P., Lu, Y.: Rate Control for Advance Video Coding (AVC) Standard. In: International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, vol. 2, pp. 892–895 (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, N., He, Y.: A New Bit Rate Control Strategy for H.264. In: Joint Conference of the 4th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing and 4th Pacific-Rim Conference on Multimedia, December 2003, vol. 3A2.6 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Lin, L.-J., Ortega, A.: Bit-Rate Control Using Piecewise Approximated Rate-Distortion Characteristics. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 8(4) (August 1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Ribas-Corbera, J., Lei, S.: Rate Control in DCT Video Coding for Low-Delay Communications. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 9(1) (Feburary 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.He, Z., Mitra, S.K.: A Linear Source Model and a Unified Rate Conrtrol Algorithm for DCT Video Coding. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 12(11) (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Yovanof, G.S., Liu, S.: Statistical Analysis of the DCT Coefficients and Their Quantization Error. In: Conference on the Thirtieth Asilomar, November 1996, vol. 1, pp. 601–605 (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, N., He, Y.: A new bit rate control strategy for H.264. In: Pacific-Rim Conference on Multimedia (December 2003)Google Scholar
- 13.”Draft ITU-T Recommendation and Final Draft International Standard of Joint Video Specification(ITU-T Rec. H.264|ISO/IEC 14496-10 AVC),” Joint Video Team(JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG and ITU-T VCEG(ISO/IEC JTC/SG29/WG11 and ITU-T SG16 Q.6) JVT-G050.doc, 8th meeting, Geneva, Switzerland (May 2003)Google Scholar