MCDS Based Multicasting in Mobile Adhoc Networks
Multicasting in resource constrained MANETs imposes a severe restriction on the message overhead for construction and maintenance of the multicast distribution tree. Algorithms based on minimum spanning trees (MST) or Steiner trees require reconstruction of the tree when members join or leave a multicast group in addition to change in network topology. In the present paper, multicasting based on MCDS with local repair is presented. The proposed MCDS algorithm tries to optimize the number of messages required for construction and maintenance of the multicast backbone. It is observed that when a node joins or leaves the multicast group, the time taken for repair with local route discovery is almost constant and is independent of multicast group size. Moreover, there is only a modest increase in the CDS size. The results are similar when a node that is not a member of the multicast group but forms a part of the MCDS moves away resulting in a change of the network topology.
KeywordsCluster Head Minimum Span Tree Steiner Tree Multicast Tree Multicast Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Vaishampayan, R., Garcia-Luna-Aceves, J.J.: Protocol for unified multicasting through announcements (PUMA). In: Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems, MASS (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Mauve, M., Fubler, H., Widmer, J., Lang, T.: Position-Based Multicast Routing for Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks. Technical Report, Nr. TR-03-004 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Xiaofeng, Z., Lillykutty, J.: Multicast Zone Routing Protocol in Mobile Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In: 28th Annual IEEE International Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN 2003), pp. 150–152 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Ko, Y., Vaidya, N.: Geocasting in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: Location-Based Multicast Algorithms. Technical Report TR-98-018, Texas A&M University (September 1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Detti, A., Loreti, C., Loreti, P.: Effectiveness of Overlay Multicasting. In: IEEE Conf. On Mobile Ad-Hoc Network (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Wu, J., Li, H.: On Calculating Connected Dominating Set for Efficient Routing in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of the 3rd international workshop on Discrete algorithms and methods for mobile computing and communications, August 20, Seattle, Washington, United States, pp. 7–14 (1999)Google Scholar