A Mobility Aware Technique for Clustering on Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks
Clustering for mobile ad-hoc networks (MANETs) has attracted the interest of many researchers as it offers enhanced scalability and performance improvement. The main challenge of the clustering algorithms is the formation of stable clusters despite the topological changes due to the host mobility. In this paper, we present a novel clustering algorithm, which first predicts the future host mobility and then uses this information to build a stable clustering structure over hosts that will probably exhibit low mobility in the future. In this way, long lifetime for the clustering structure is guaranteed, thereby eliminating the need for frequent reclustering. For predicting the future host mobility, we use provably good information theoretic techniques, which allow on-line learning of a reliable probabilistic model for future mobility.
KeywordsCluster Head Transmission Range Mobile Host IEEE Wireless Communication Mobility Prediction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Basu, P., Khan, N., Little, T.: A Mobility Based Metric for Clustering in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proc. of the 21st International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops (ICDCSW 2001), pp. 413–418 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Er, I., Seah, W.: Mobility-based d-Hop Clustering Algorithm for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proc. of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2004), vol. 4, pp. 2359–2364 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Basagni, S.: Distributed Clustering for Ad-Hoc Networks. In: Proc. of the 1999 International Symposium on Parallel Architectures, Algorithms and Networks (ISPAN 1999), pp. 310–315 (June 1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Basagni, S.: Distributed and Mobility-Adaptive Clustering for Multimedia Support in Multi-hop Wireless Networks. In: Proc. of IEEE International Vehicular Technology Conference, pp. 889–893 (September 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Sivavakeesar, S., Pavlou, G., Liotta, A.: Stable Clustering Through Mobility Prediction for Large-Scale Multihop Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proc. of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, WCNC 2004 (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Bell, T.C., Cleary, J.G., Witten, I.H.: Text Compression. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1990)Google Scholar
- 13.Gerla, M., Kwon, T.J., Pei, G.: On Demand Routing in Large Ad Hoc Wireless Networks with Passive Clustering. In: Proc. of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, WCNC 2000 (September 2000)Google Scholar