A Novel Broadcasting Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks
Broadcasting is one of the typical operations in wireless sensor networks where the nodes are energy constrained. Considering the characteristics that nodes are almost static and position aware in wireless sensor networks, we propose a novel broadcasting algorithm (NBA) for utilizing energy efficiently. The energy status of nodes is regarded as an important factor, as well as the local network topology, in clustering and deciding retransmission nodes. We prove the accurateness of NBA. Simulations show that NBA reduces the number of redundant retransmissions and balances traffic efficiently, so energy is conserved and energy dissipation is distributed evenly throughout the network. Thereby the lifetime of WSN is prolonged greatly.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Network Cluster Head Network Lifetime Message Complexity Optimize Link State Route
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Du, K., Wu, J., Zhou, D.: Chain-Based Protocols for Data Broadcasting and Gathering in the Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, pp. 1–8 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Ni, S.Y., Tseng, Y.C., Chen, Y., Sheu, J.: The Broadcast Storm Problem in a Mobile Ad Hoc Network. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Asmual ACM/ IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Network, pp. 151–162 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Williams, B., Camp, T.: Comparison of Broadcasting Techniques for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the Third ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing, pp. 194–205 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Tian, D., Georganas, N.: A Coverage-preserving Node Scheduling Scheme for Large Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the First ACM International Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications, pp. 32–41 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Clausen, T., Jacquet, P.: Optimized Link State Routing Protocol (OLSR). RFC 3626 (2003) Google Scholar
- 11.Wu, J.: An Enhanced Approach to Determine a Small Forward Node Set Based on Multipoint relay. In: Proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, pp. 2774–2777 (2003)Google Scholar