Parallelization Algorithms for Three-Body Interactions in Molecular Dynamics Simulation
Two force decomposition algorithms are proposed for parallelizing three-body interactions in Molecular Dynamics (MD) simulations. The first algorithm divides the entire 3D force matrix into equal sized force cubes that are assigned to parallel processors. In the second strategy, the force matrix is decomposed into slices of two-dimensional force matrixes, and those slices are distributed among processors cyclically. The proposed decomposition algorithms are implemented using MPI and tested in computational experiments. The performances of proposed decomposition methods are studied and compared with computational load theoretical analysis. Both theoretical prediction and computation experiments demonstrate that the load balance is a key factor that impacts the parallel performance of the examined system, and the cyclic force decomposition algorithm produced reasonably good overall performances.
KeywordsLoad Balance Parallel Performance Decomposition Algorithm Load Imbalance Force Element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bosko, J.T., Todd, B.D., Sadus, R.J.: Journal of Chemical Physics, 121, 1091–1096 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Rentsch, R., Brinksmeier, E., Li, J.: Nonlinear Dynamics of Production Systems, pp. 245–263. Wiley-VCH, Chichester (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Plimpton, S.: Journal of Computational Physics 117, 1–19 (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Roy, S., Jin, R.Y., Chaudhary, V., Hase, W.L.: Computer Physics Communications 128, 210–218 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Schreiber, H., Steinhauser, O., Schuster, P.: Parallel Computing 18, 557–573 (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Smith, W.: Computer Physics Communications 62, 229–248 (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Boyer, L.L., Pawley, G.S.: Journal of Computational Physics 78, 405–423 (1988)Google Scholar
- 10.Fincham, D.: Molecular Simulation, vol. 1, pp. 1–45 (1987)Google Scholar
- 11.Gupta, S.: Computer Physics Communications, vol. 70, pp. 243–270 (1992)Google Scholar
- 14.Li, J., Zhou, Z., Sadus, R.J.: Modified Force Decomposition Strategies for Three-Body Interactions in Molecular Dynamics Simulations. Computer Physics Communications (to be published, 2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Sadus, R.J.: Molecular Simulation of Fluids, Theory, Algorithms and Object-Orientation. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2002)Google Scholar