Towards Estimating Lifetime of Ad Hoc Wireless Networks
Ad hoc wireless networks possess highly constrained energy resources. Even the energy aware protocols for ad hoc networks do not consider all the characteristics of the underlying batteries. Hence, they fail to efficiently utilize the available energy. Thus, a mechanism is required to measure the efficiency of the protocols of ad hoc networks, in terms of the network lifetime. To the best of our knowledge, there has been no reported work till date for analyzing the lifetime of the ad hoc networks for various protocols. This paper primarily provides a novel generalized analytical model for estimating lifetime of ad hoc networks, in the presence of the following two kinds of MAC protocols: (i) reservation-based TDMA protocols and (ii) a specific class of CSMA protocols that try to follow a pattern, such as a round-robin scheduling, for packet transmission. We prove through analytical and simulation studies that energy awareness is crucial in deciding the performance of the MAC protocols.
KeywordsNetwork Lifetime Packet Transmission Transition Probability Matrix Nominal Capacity Idle Slot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jayashree, S., Manoj, B.S., Siva Ram Murthy, R.: On Using Battery State for Medium Access Control in Ad hoc Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of ACM MOBICOM 2004, pp. 360–373 (September 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Manoj, B.S., Murthy, C.S.R.: Real-Time Traffic Support for Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE ICON 2002, pp. 335–340 (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Chiasserini, C.F., Rao, R.R.: A Model for Battery Pulsed Discharge with Recovery Effect. In: Proceedings of IEEE WCNC 1999, vol. 2, pp. 636–639 (September 1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Chiasserini, C.F., Rao, R.R.: Energy Efficient Battery Management. In: Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2000, vol. 2, pp. 396–403 (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Rong, P., Pedram, M.: Battery-Aware Power Management Based on Markovian Decision Processes. In: Proceedings of ICCAD 2002, pp. 707–713 (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Wattenhofer, R., Li, L., Bahl, P., Wang, Y.M.: Distributed Topology Control for Power-Efficient Operation in Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2001, vol. 3, pp. 1388–1397 (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Srinivas, A., Modiano, E.: Minimum Energy Disjoint Path Routing in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of ACM MOBICOM 2003, pp. 122–133 (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Siva Ram Murthy, C., Manoj, B.S.: Ad Hoc Wireless Networks: Architectures and Protocols. Prentice Hall, NJ (2004)Google Scholar