Location-Based Multicast Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
Location-based multicast protocol for mobile ad hoc networks is proposed in this paper. A network is divided into grids according to geographical location information and the grid network is divided into a high-channel subnetwork and a low-channel subnetwork according to labels of grids, where the destination set is divided into subsets according to its source node. Then destination nodes are partitioned into groups by using location information, the multicast routing is done in label order for each group. The proposed protocol does not require the maintenance of a distribution structure(e.g., a tree or a mesh). A forwarding node only uses information about positions of its destinations and its own neighbors to determine next hops that packet should be forwarded to and is thus very well suited for highly dynamic networks. Proposed protocol is scalable.
KeywordsGlobal Position System Source Node Destination Node Route Discovery Multicast Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Das, S., Manoj, B., Murthy, C.: A dynamic core based multicast routing protocol for ad hoc wireless networks. In: Proceedings of ACM Mobihoc 2002, Lausanne, Switzerland, June 2002, pp. 24–35 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Devarapalli, V., Sidhu, D.: MZR: A multicast protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE ICC 2001, Helsinki, Finland, June 2001, pp. 886–891 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Hofmann-Wellenhof, B., Lichtenegger, H., Collins, J.: Global Positioning System: Theory and Practice, 4th edn. Springer, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Jorjeta, G.J., David, B.J.: Adaptive demand-driven multicast routing in multi hop wireless ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of Mobihoc 2001, Long Beach, CA, USA, October 2001, pp. 33–44 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Ko, Y., Vaidya, N.: Geocasting in mobile ad hoc networks: Location-based multicast algorithms. In: Proceedings of IEEE WMCSA (February 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, S., Kim, C.: Neighbor supporting ad hoc multicast routing protocol. In: Proc. of ACM Mobihoc 2000, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, August 2000, pp. 37–50 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Mauve, M., Fubler, H., Widmer, J., Lang, T.: Position-based multicast routing for mobile ad hoc networks. Technical Report TR-03-004, Institute for mathematics and Computer Science, University of Mannheim, Germany (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Lee, S., Su, W., Hsu, J., Gerla, M., Bagrodia, R.: A performance comparison study of ad hoc wireless multicast protocols. In: Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2000, Tel Aviv, Israel, March 2000, pp. 565–574 (2000)Google Scholar