Performance Study of Robust Data Transfer Protocol for VANETs
Vehicular Ad-hoc Networks (VANETs) have emerged as a new network environment for intelligent transportation systems. In this paper, we focus on traffic monitoring (TM) and roadside message transfer (RMT) applications. The TM application (TMA) allows drivers to query traffic conditions at some distance ahead of themselves so that they can make decisions on route changes. The RMT application (RMTA) allows data messages to be delivered between roadside entities e.g. emergency messages, via the moving vehicles. We design a robust data transfer protocol (RDTP), and evaluate its effectiveness on the two applications with various vehicular density and vehicular speed. Our study shows that our protocol achieves comparably accurate speed estimate and higher query success rate with lower control overhead than VITP, an existing protocol designed for TMA. It also achieves higher data throughput and lower delivery latency than another existing approach for RMTA.
KeywordsRelay Node Road Segment Intelligent Transportation System Query Message Achievable Throughput
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The FleetNet Project, http://www.et2.tu-harbug.ed/fleetnet
- 4.Kikaiakos, M.D., et al.: VITP: An information transfer protocol for vehicular computing. In: VANET 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Petit, B., et al.: Protocols for Roadside-to-Roadsie Data Relaying over Vehicular Networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE WCNC (April 2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Wu, H., Fujimoto, R.M., Guensler, R., Hunter, M.: MDDV: Mobility Centric data Dissemination Algorithm for Vehicular Networks. In: ACM workshop on vehicular adhoc networks (October 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Yang, X., Liu, J., Zhao, F., Vaidya, N.: A Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communicaiton Protocol for Cooperative Collision Warning. In: ACM workshop on vehicular adhoc networks (October 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Miller, R., Huang, Q.: An adaptive peer-to-peer collision warning system. In: IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Tian, J., Rothermel, K.: Building large peer-to-peer systems in highly mobile ad hoc networks: New challenges? Technical Report, University of Stuttgart (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Network simulator ns-2, http://www.isi.edu/nsname/ns