On Improving Wireless Broadcast Reliability of Sensor Networks Using Erasure Codes
Efficient and reliable dissemination of information over a large area is a critical ability of a sensor network for various reasons such as software updates and transferring large data objects (e.g., surveillance images). Thus efficiency of wireless broadcast is an important aspect of sensor network deployment. In this paper, we study FBcast, a new broadcast protocol based on the principles of modern erasure codes. We show that our approach provides high reliability, often considered critical for disseminating codes. In addition FBcast offers limited data confidentiality. For a large network, where every node may not be reachable by the source, we extend FBcast with the idea of repeaters to improve reliable coverage. Simulation results on TOSSIM show that FBcast offers higher reliability with lower number of retransmissions than traditional broadcasts.
KeywordsSensor Network Wireless Sensor Network Data Packet Erasure Code Broadcast Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ganesan, D., Krishnamachari, B., Woo, A., Culler, D., Estrin, D., Wicker, S.: An empirical study of epidemic algorithms in large scale multihop wireless networks, Technical Report, Intel Research (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Chang, J.-H., Tassiulas, L.: Trickle: A self-regulating algorithm for code propagation and maintenance in wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the First ACM/Usenix Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI) (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, L., Halpern, J., Haas, Z.: Gossip-based ad hoc routing. In: Proceedings of the 21st Conference of the IEEE Communications Society (INFOCOM 2002) (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Lou, W., Wu, J.: On reducing broadcast redundancy in ad hoc wireless networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile ComputingGoogle Scholar
- 8.Luby, M.: Lt codes. In: Proceedings of 43rd Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS) (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Maymounkov, P., Mazieres, D.: Rateless codes and big downloads. In: Proc. of the 2nd International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Park, S.-J., Vedantham, R., Sivakumar, R., Akyildiz, I.F.: A scalable approach for reliable downstream data delivery in wireless sensor networks. In: MobiHoc 2004: Proceedings of the 5th ACM international symposium on Mobile ad hoc networking and computing, pp. 78–89. ACM Press, New York (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Peng, W., Lu, X.-C.: On the reduction of broadcast redundancy in mobile ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of the 1st ACM international symposium on Mobile ad hoc networking & computing, pp. 129–130. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2000)Google Scholar