Multiple Tasks Allocation in Arbitrarily Connected Distributed Computing Systems Using A* Algorithm and Genetic Algorithm
A number of algorithms is proposed for allocation of tasks in a DCS. Most of them did not consider allocation of various unrelated tasks partitioned into modules by taking into account the architectural capability of the processing nodes and the connectivity among them. This work considers allocation of disjoint multiple tasks with corresponding modules wherein multiple disjoint tasks with their modules compete for execution on an arbitrarily networked DCS. Two algorithms have been presented based on well-known A* algorithm and Genetic Algorithm techniques. The proposed algorithms consider a load balanced allocation for the purpose. The paper justifies the effectiveness of the proposed algorithms using several case studies.
KeywordsTask Allocation Task Graph Processing Node Multiple Task Distribute Computing System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nilson, N.J.: Problem Solving Methods in Artificial Intelligence. McGraw Hill International Edition (1971)Google Scholar
- 6.Ramakrishnan, H.C., Dunning, L.A.: A Close Look at Task Assignment in Distributed Systems. In: Proceedings of IEEE Infocom 1991, pp. 806–812 (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Vidyarthi, D.P., Tripathi, A.K., Sarker, B.K.: Allocation Aspects in Distributed Computing System. IETE Technical Review 18(6), 279–285 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Sinha, P.K.: Distributed Operating System. IEEE Press, Prentice Hall of India Ltd. (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Tanenbaum, A.S.: Distributed Operating Systems. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Tripathi, A.K., Sarker, B.K., Kumar, N., Vidyarthi, D.P.: Multiple Task Allocation with Load Considerations. International Journal of Information and Computing Science (IJICS) 3(1), 36–44 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Vidyarthi, D.P., Tripathi, A.K., Sarker, B.K.: Multiple Task Management in Distributed Computing System. Journal of the CSI 31(1), 19–25 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Sriniwas, M., Patnaik, L.M.: Genetic Algorithms: A survey. IEEE Computer, 44–52 (June 1994)Google Scholar
- 16.Mitchell, M.: An Introduction to Genetic Algorithm. Prentice Hall of India, Englewood Cliffs (1998)Google Scholar
- 18.Sarker, B.K., Tripathi, A.K., Vidyarthi, D.P., Uehara, K., Yang, L.T.: Load Balanced Allocation of Multiple Tasks in a Distributed Computing Systems. In: Yang, L.T., Amamiya, M., Liu, Z., Guo, M., Rammig, F.J. (eds.) EUC 2005. LNCS, vol. 3824, pp. 584–596. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar