Performance Analysis of Semi-centralized Load Sharing
In a large distributed system, it is important that computers share the loads submitted to the system in order to harness all its computing power. This paper proposes and analyzes a new algorithm for sharing system loads based on a coordinated dynamic semi-centralized scheme. In this scheme, load state information at each node is centrally collected by a coordinator to optimize the transfer policy. This information is periodically broadcasted to nodes for decentralizing the decision, making for best load allocation policy. The paper analyzes the algorithm for small systems as well as for large distributed systems. Simulations results have shown that this semi-centralized scheme outperforms probing-based schemes in most system loads.
KeywordsCommunication Overhead System Load Load Sharing Moderate Load Single Partition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gupta, D., Bepari, P.: Load Sharing in Distributed System. In: Proc. National Workshop on Distributed Computing (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Svensson, A.: Dynamic Alternation between Load Sharing Algorithms. In: Proc. of the 25th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp. 193–201 (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Shivaratri, N., Krueger, P., Singhal, M.: Load Distributing for Locally Distributed Systems. IEEE Computer 25(12), 33–44 (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Kremien, O., Kramer, J., Magee, J.: Scalable, Adaptive Load Sharing for Distributed Systems. IEEE Parallel and Distributed Technology, 62–70 (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Kablan, K., Smari, W., Hakimian, J.: Adaptive Load Sharing in Heterogeneous Systems: Policies, Modifications, and Simulation. International Journal of Simulation Systems 3(1-2), 89–100 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Eager, D., Lazowska, E., Zahorjan, J.: Adaptive Load Sharing in Homogeneous Distributed Systems. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 12(5), 662–675 (1986)Google Scholar
- 8.Hura, G.S., Mohan, S., Srikanthan, T.: On Load Sharing in Distributed Systems: A Novel Approach. Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science 6(1), 59–81 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Coulouris, G., Dollimore, J., Kindberg, T.: Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Al-Raqabani, A., Bararda, H., Benlamri, R.: Performance of Probing and Coordinated Load Sharing. In: Proc. of the 17th IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Dis-tributed Computing and Systems (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Varga, A.: Software Tools for Networking. IEEE Network Interactive 16(4) (2002)Google Scholar