Design of Authentication Mechanism Using PANA CTP in FMIPv6 Environment
MIPv6 working Group in IETF suggests Mobile IPv6 to support host mobility. In order to make MIPv6 to be more practical, FMIPv6 which is a fast handover scheme to optimize the packet delivery route is considered. FMIPv6 protocol assumes layer 2 triggers from the link layer. Through the movement detection and a new CoA configuration using the information in advance, MN can perform a binding update and receive data destined to the MN as soon as a new link to a new access router is established. The routing failure until BU is completed is also addressed by using bi-directional tunnel between the access routers. CTP is used in a bi-directional tunnel between pAR and nAR. nAR must authenticate the MN by using PANA architecture. The authentication process for MN is an associated process of PANA at the wireless link and AAA in the network. Both processes carry messages for authentication. The attendant can be an AR providing the Mobile IP service, and also acts as a PAA to communicate PANA messages with the MN. AAH or HA in a home network can authenticate the mobile node and pAR has authentication information for MN. However, nAR has no authentication information. Therefore, existing authentication mechanism is not acceptable in FMIPv6. For secure FMIPv6, new authentication mechanism should be considered. Our research propose an authentication mechanism using PANA-CTP in FMIPv6 environment.
KeywordsMobile Node Host Mobility Access Router Mobile IPv6 Handover Latency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Johnson, D.: Mobility Support in IPv6, RFC 3775, IETF (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Koodli, R.: Fast Handovers for Mobile IPv6”, RFC 4068, IETF (July 2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Bournelle, J.: Use of Context Transfer Protocol (CXTP) for PANA, draft-ietf-pana-cxtp-01, Internet Draft, IETF, March 6 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Forsberg, D.: Protocol for Carrying Authentication for Network Access (PANA), draft-ietf-pana-pana-11, Internet Draft, IETF, March 3 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Dupont, F., Bournelle, J.: AAA for Mobile IPv6, draft-dupont-mipv6-aaa-01, Internet Draft, IETF (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Perkins, C.E.: Mobile IP. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1998)Google Scholar