DNA: Diameter NEMO Applications Based on Binding Update Integration
NEtwork MObility (NEMO) technology leads to manage not only host mobility but also the mobility of an entire network. For practical usage, mobile users should however be authenticated by their service provider when accessing foreign networks. AAA for NEMO (AFN)  provides a solution to perform the AAA mechanism, based on NEMO Basic Support (NBS). When we consider the AAA mechanism, the binding update procedure (BU) would also be performed when Mobile Router (MR) does frequent handoffs between Mobile Networks. These two procedures (Authentication and BU) result in additional overhead if they are performed separately. Therefore, both are considered for formulating an integration scheme. An efficient solution is proposed by integrating the binding update message into the Diameter protocol, in order to reduce traffic overhead and routing delay. The proposed scheme is analyzed in terms of measurement factors of transmission time and processing time. As a result, the proposed scheme outperforms AFN up to 8~35% in terms of routing delay.
KeywordsMobile Node Host Mobility Home Agent Total Delay Mobile IPv6
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Calhoun, P., Johansson, T., Perkins, C., Hiller, T.: Diameter Mobile IPv4 Application. IETF, RFC 4004 (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Calhoun, P., Loughney, J., Guttman, E., Zorn, G., Arkko, J.: Diameter Base Protocol, IETF, RFC 3588 (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Calhoun, P., Zorn, G., Spence, D., Mitton, D.: Diameter Network Access Server Application, IETF, RFC 4005 (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Conta, A., Deering, S.: Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) for the Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Specification, IETF, RFC 2463, (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Dupont, F., Laurent-Maknavicius, M.: AAA for mobile IPv6, IETF, draft-dupont-mipv6-aaa-01 (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Devarapalli, V., Wakikawa, R., Petrescu, A., Thubert, P.: Network Mobility (NEMO) Basic Support Protocol, IETF, RFC 3963 (January 2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6, IETF, RFC 3775 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Kwon, T., Baek, S., Pack, S., Choi, Y.: AAA for NEMO, IETF, draft-kwon-aaa-nemo-00 (July 2005)Google Scholar
- 9.de Laat, C., Gross, G., Gommans, L., Vollbrecht, J., Spence, D.: Generic AAA Architecture, IETF, RFC 2903 (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Le, F., Perkins, C.E.: Diameter Mobile IPv6 Application, IETF, draft-le-aaa-diameter-mobileipv6-04 (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Perkins, C.: IP Mobility support for IPv4, IETF, RFC 3220 (January 2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Vollbrecht, J., Calhoun, P., Farrell, S., Gommans, L., Gross, G., de Bruijn, B., de Laat, C., Holdrege, M., Spence, D.: AAA Authorization Framework. IETF, RFC 2904 (August 2000)Google Scholar