Solving a Constraint Satisfaction Problem for Frequency Assignment in Low Power FM Broadcasting
We present an algorithm to solve the frequency assignment problem for low power FM broadcasting. To get a good suboptimal solution, some heuristics such as k-coloring variable ordering and mostly-used value ordering rule are provided. They enforce the backtracking process in a constraint satisfaction problem, so both the search space and computing time are greatly reduced. A lot of outstanding work on graph coloring problems has been achieved, and the theoretical lower bound of the chromatic number of random graph is one of them. Comparison between the theoretical lower bound and our computed approximate solution has been made for evaluation of proposed algorithm.
KeywordsRandom Graph Chromatic Number Constraint Satisfaction Problem Federal Communication Commission Frequency Assignment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Aardal, K., et al.: Models and Solution Techniques for Frequency Assignment Problems, Technical Report ZIB-Report01-40 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Federal Communications Commission, http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/lpfm
- 6.World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters, http://www.amarc.org
- 8.Carlsson, M., Grindal, M.: Automatic Frequency Assignment for Cellular Telephone Using Constraint Satisfaction Techniques. In: Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Logic Programming, pp. 647–665 (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.Walsher, J.P.: Feasible Cellular Frequency Assignment Using Constraint Programming Abstractions. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Constraint Programming Applications (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Dunkin, N., Allen, S.: Frequency Assignment Problems: Representation and Solutions, Technical Report CSD-TR-97-14, Royal Holloway, University of London (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Thiel, S.U., Hurley, S., Smith, D.H.: Frequency Assignment Algorithms, Technical Report Year 2, University of Wales Cardiff (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Yokoo, M., Hirayama, K.: Frequency Assignment for Cellular Mobile Systems Using Constraint Satisfaction Techniques. In: IEEE Int’l. Proceedings of Vehicular Technology Conferences (2000)Google Scholar
- 16.Achlioptas, D., Naor, A.: The Two Possible Values of the Chromatic Number of a Random Graph. Annals of Mathematics (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.Kim, D., Han, E., Park, J.: Research on Active Use of Low Power Broadcasting, Technical Report KORA-2001-17, Korea Radio Station Management Agency (2002)Google Scholar