Predicting Stock Market Time Series Using Evolutionary Artificial Neural Networks with Hurst Exponent Input Windows
Predicting stock market time series is a challenging problem due to their random nature, non-stationarity and noise. In this study, we introduce an enhanced evolutionary artificial neural network (EANN) model to meet this challenge. Here, fractal analyses based on Hurst exponent calculations are used to characterize the time series and to identify appropriate input windows for the EANN. We investigate the efficacy of the model using closing price time series for a suite of stocks listed on the SPI index on the Australian Stock Exchange. The results show that Hurst exponent configured models out-perform basic EANN models in terms of average trading profit found using a simple trading strategy.
KeywordsTime Series Root Mean Square Error Fractal Property Hurst Exponent Multi Layer Perceptron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Dorffner, G.: Neural Networks for Time Series Processing. Neural Network World 6(4), 447–468 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Hurst, H.E.: Long-term storage of reservoirs: an experimental study. Transactions of the American society of civil engineers 116, 770–799 (1951)Google Scholar
- 7.Kimoto, T., Asakawa, K., Yoda, M., Takeoka, M.: Stock market prediction system with modular neural network. In: Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.Peters, E.E.: Fractal market analysis: applying chaos theory to investment and economics. Wiley, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Qian, B., Rasheed, K.: Hurst Exponent and Financial Market Predictability. FEA - Financial Engineering and Applications, 437–443 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Ruan, J., Pang, S.L., Luo, W.Q.: The MultiFractal Structure Analysis in the China Stock Market. In: Proceedings of 2005 International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, vol. 5, pp. 18–21 (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Yakuwa, F., Dote, Y., Yoneyama, M., Uzurabashi, S.: Novel Time Series Analysis & Prediction of Stock Trading using Fractal Theory and Time Delayed Neural Network. In: IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, October 5-8, vol. 1, pp. 134–141 (2003)Google Scholar
- 17.Yao, X.: Evolving artificial neural networks. Proceedings of the IEEE Neural Networks 8(9), 1423–1447 (1999)Google Scholar