Expansion of Machine Translation Bilingual Dictionaries by Using Existing Dictionaries and Thesauruses
This paper gives a method of expanding bilingual dictionaries by creating a new multi-word entry (MWE) and its possible translation previously unregistered in bilingual dictionaries by replacing one of the components of a registered MWE with its semantically similar words, and then selecting appropriate lexical entries from the pairs of new MWEs and their possible translations according to a prioritizing method. In the proposed method, the pairs of new nominal MWEs and their possible translations are prioritized by referring to more than one thesaurus and considering the number of original MWEs from which a single new MWE is created. As a result, the pairs which are effective for improving translation quality, if registered in bilingual dictionaries, are acquired with an improvement of 55.0% for the top 500 prioritized pairs. This accuracy rate exceeds the one marked with the baseline method.
KeywordsNatural Language Processing Machine Translation Lexical Entry Baseline Method Word Sense
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fujita, S., Bond, F.: An investigation into the nature of verbal alternations and their use in the creation of bilingual valency entries. Journal of Natural Language Processing 12(3), 67–89 (2005) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 3.Kurohashi, S., Nagao, M. (eds.): Jisho to koopasu: Dictionary and Corpus. In: Shizen-gengo-shori: Natural Language Processing, pp. 231–264. Iwanami Shoten Publishers (1996) (in Japanese) Google Scholar
- 4.Mandala, R., Tokunaga, T., Tanaka, H.: The Exploration and Analysis of Using Multiple Thesaurus Types for Query Expansion in Information Retrieval. Journal of Natural Language Processing 7(2), 117–140 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Miller, G.: Nouns in WordNet. In: Fellbaum, C. (ed.) WordNet: An Electronic Lexical Database, pp. 23–46. MIT Press, Cambridge (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Ogawa, Y., Kamatani, S., Mahsut, M., Inagaki, Y.: Expansion of a Japanese-Uighur Bilingual Dictionary by Paraphrasing. Journal of Natural Language Processing 11(5), 39–62 (2004) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 7.Shibata, M., Tomiura, Y., Tanaka, S.: Assisting with Translating Collocations Based on the Word Co-occurrence on the Web Texts. Transactions of Information Processing Society of Japan 46(6), 1480–1491 (2005) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 8.Utsuro, T., Hino, K., Horiuchi, T., Nakagawa, S.: Estimating Bilingual Term Correspondences from Relevant Japanese-English News Articles. Journal of Natural Language Processing 12(5), 43–69 (2005) (in Japanese)Google Scholar