Mathematical Foundations for the Design of a Low-Rate DoS Attack to Iterative Servers (Short Paper)
A low-rate DoS attack to iterative servers has recently appeared as a new approach for defeating services using rates of traffic that could be adjusted to bypass security detection mechanisms. Although the fundamentals and effectiveness of these kind of attacks are known, it is not clear how to design the attack to achieve specific constraints based on the used rate and the efficiency in denial of service obtained. In this paper, a comprehensive mathematical framework that models the behaviour of the attack is presented. The main contribution of this model is to give a better understanding of the dynamics of these kind of attacks, in order to facilitate the development of detection and defense mechanisms.
KeywordsIdle Time Calculation Point Intrusion Detection System Round Trip Time Mathematical Foundation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CERT coordination Center. Denial of Service Attacks, available from: http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/denial_of_service.html
- 2.Williams, M.: Ebay, Amazon, Buy.com hit by attacks, 02/09/00. IDG News Service (02/09/2000), http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2000/0209attack.html
- 3.Global Incident Analysis Center - Special Notice - Egress filtering, available from: http://www.sans.org/y2k/egress.htm
- 4.Ferguson, P., Senie, D.: Network ingress filtering: defeating Denial of Service attacks which employ IP source address spoofing. RFC 2827 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Weiler, N.: Honeypots for Distributed Denial of Service. In: Proceedings of the Eleventh IEEE International Workshops Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises 2002, Pitsburgh, PA, USA, June 2002, pp. 109–114 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Axelsson, S.: Intrusion detection systems: a survey and taxonomy. Department of Computer Engineering, Chalmers University, Goteborg, Sweden. Technical Report 99-15 (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Kuzmanovic, A., Knightly, E.: Low Rate TCP-targeted Denial of Service Attacks (The Shrew vs. the Mice and Elephants). In: Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 2003, August 2003, pp. 75–86 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Sun, H., Lui, J.C.S., Yau, D.K.Y.: Defending Against Low-Rate TCP Attacks: Dynamic Detection and Protection. In: Proc. IEEE Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2004), October 2004, pp. 196–205 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Network Simulator 2, available at: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/